Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Curby_LP
Paper Tape
Views: 6,810
Message 1 of 4

Can i install Windows 7?

Hello, i want to ask you, Can i install windows 7 on lenovo ideapad 120S-11IAP when originaly was windows 10.And warranty doesnt void?

Guru
Views: 6,801
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can i install Windows 7?

It's possible, but you'll need to put a lot of effort to do it. First of all, you need to have a valid Windows 7 license. Only Windows 10 Pro have a download rights to install both Windows 8 Pro and Windows 7 Pro. Second you have to modify installation media in order to install OS. More information on link below:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Beacon-Stick-300-D-J-and/Desktop-V320-15IAP-Windows-7/m-p/399101...

------
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,792
Message 3 of 4

My understanding is that Apollo Lake CPUs (like 120S-11IAP) are windows 10 only.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jma1795
Paper Tape
Views: 5,569
Message 4 of 4

I believe it is possible to put windows 7 on this device. The key is drivers. I have been trying to get 7 on this device (as it would run better than windows 10) since i bought it at the begining of this year. I purchased my ideapad for school and found the system defualt image that lenovo put on it was badly corrupt from the factory, and many things did not work (like wifi, usb ports etc.) so I reinstalled windows 10 on it anyway. What I have found so far is you need 1) a valid windows 7 product key, 2) USB 3.0 drivers + the drivers to the Storage controller. Finally you need to set the system to Legacy mode in the BIOS as it is much easier to get windows 7 to boot legacy than it is UEFI.

This blog does an excellant job getting you past the issue with the correct chipset drivers for the device:

https://www.abmx.com/blog/win-7-j3455m

However the issue still is that I do not have the correct storage controller driver so that windows 7 can see the eMMC storage. If your model has the ability to have a separate NVMe drive then the above instructions should get you on the right path to install to that device. The Win 7 USB patcher from ASRock will get you the USB drivers you need to install windows.

If your laptop does not have that fuctionallity then I'm afraid I am still experimenting with drivers to get the right storage controller driver to install on the eMMC drive (mine is 32GB). My current plan is to use the drivers  I extracted from the current install of Windows 10 I put on it to see if they will work. No garuntees if that will do it but I will report back if it does.

As far as warrenty, I am not aware that Lenovo realistically cares warrenty-wise what you do Opperating system. You can put whatever you want on there as it still is YOUR computer. Lenovo would just recomend Windows 10 as it is what the device is supported on.

**disclaimer**

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo nor a certified technician. Any comments, or posts made by myself are simply my opinion and should be taken as such.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors