Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jred55
Paper Tape
Views: 7,660
Message 1 of 25

Can't access Ideapad 100S due to Bitlocker recovery key needed

Hi, been trawling through the forum and can't find an answer to my problem. My son uses the laptop for school and brought it home today upon which I discovered when you turn it on, it's booting to the Bitlocker screen requesting a recovery key. Looking for ideas to how I can overcome this. He swears blind he hasn't done anything! Thus far have tried:

1. Checking if a key exists under his MS account. It doesn't.

2. Every reset option available when you select 'skip this drive' from the Bitlocker screen.

3. Can't boot off an external USB drive to restore or clean install as the bios only show 'windows boot manager' option which just cycles me back to the Bitlocker screen!

4. I've tried turning 'secure boot' off in the bios settings but makes no difference. Other than toggling this on and off the only other options are to 'reset to setup mode' and 'restore factory keys'. Neither makes any difference.

So I'm at a loss on how to either clean install windows 10 or get past the bitlocker screen (I understand you can't without the key - that's the purpose of encryption!)

Any ideas gratefully received.IMG_0662.jpgBIOS SetupIMG_0663.jpgBoot Manager

Thanks, Julian

Tedd4
Paper Tape
Views: 7,636
Message 2 of 25

Re: Can't access Ideapad 100S due to Bitlocker recovery key needed

Hi, when bitlocker is activating it need to store key outside of encrypted disk. Maybe check other disk if exist file with key ? 

Tedd4
Paper Tape
Views: 7,635
Message 3 of 25

Bitlocker is something different than secure boot. You can install fresh windows ( download install disk from Microsoft). I don't know which partition are encrypted, but maybe you can use recovery to fabric state. 

In summary when you haven't key to bitlocker you can delete data but you can't access to it.

jred55
Paper Tape
Views: 7,629
Message 4 of 25

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, no other drive has been used.
jred55
Paper Tape
Views: 7,629
Message 5 of 25

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to boot off an external drive to clean install. And I can't find a way to access the drive to repartition or standard windows recovery doesn't work either.
Tedd4
Paper Tape
Views: 7,627
Message 6 of 25

Can you remove disk from laptop and connect to other PC? Then use partdisk command clear to clear whole disk: "it remove all data on this disk" ( check how to use partdisk) 

Then you could install from USB.

I don't know exactly this model, but you need to  press f12 or Nova key  to select boot menu. F11 is recovering ( I think so) 

Tedd4
Paper Tape
Views: 7,626
Message 7 of 25

If EFI is on disk UEFI will sometimes have some problem to boot from DVD/ USB. You could turn off secure boot and turn on CSR to boot when EFI on disk, but I have problems to boot with it anyway.

jred55
Paper Tape
Views: 7,617
Message 8 of 25

Let me take a look. I think it's an SSD on the motherboard so might not be able to remove.
Tedd4
Paper Tape
Views: 7,617
Message 9 of 25

Did you change secure boot to setup?

If you reset hard drive ( partdisk clean) you can reset key to factory, it could boot from USB and Install.

Tedd4
Paper Tape
Views: 7,613
Message 10 of 25

If you cannot remove it, if windows disk is not booting, maybe use some Linux ( you need to use EFI format of USB, i think you notebook will not but in legacy mode.)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors