Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jred55
Paper Tape
Views: 3,434
Message 11 of 24

Re: Can't access Ideapad 100S due to Bitlocker recovery key needed

So I had a quick online chat with Microsoft and they've directed me to Lenovo stating they will be able to supply the Bitlocker key. Thus have logged a case. Will update progress when they get in touch.
Davenham2018
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,347
Message 12 of 24

Hi,

just wondering if if you have received the Bitlocker key from Lenovo? I have the same problem with Bitlocker locking me out on my Lenovo Ideapad after a Microsoft update at the end of October. Every forum l have looked at does not provide a solution.

jred55
Paper Tape
Views: 3,349
Message 13 of 24

Hi, no I didn't. I ended up speaking with their Tech. Support and I believe the answer to your question still falls beneath the cracks between MS and Lenovo. I was happy to clean install but as per the previous notes couldn't due to not being able to boot off an external drive. My problem was down to the wrong version of Windows 10 being on my USB drive. It needs 32bit version not 64bit. Once I'd created a new 32bit bootable USB drive everything went fine and I was able to repartition the drive to remove bitlocker and clean install the latest version of Windows.

baocdo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,723
Message 14 of 24

how did you do the last step with repartitioning and remove the bitlocker and do the clean install? it would not let me do either the regular install or advanced install
baocdo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,723
Message 15 of 24

mine did the same this month, ive tried everything and neither MS nor lenovo have been helpful......any luck with you?
baocdo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,719
Message 16 of 24

Please elaborate on the repartitioning of the hard drive part and proceeding with the clean install, im currently have a bootable 32 bit OS usb drive but cant do clean install via the nonadvanced way, you must of did the advanced method and deleted the old drive that is locked by bitlocker?  hope you can help me

SlimSchwartz
Paper Tape
Views: 2,292
Message 17 of 24

Hi fellow 100S-11IBY owners -

We too got BitLocked after a WINDOWS 10 update while on a trip - it seemed to go terribly wrong - after reboot we got the blue 'Enter Security/Recovery Key....' screen. Never heard of BitLocker prior to this. We tried every option available from that point with no success. Never set a restore point - never backed up - never made a recovery thingy. We only use the pc to transfer image files from SD cards to backup drives (it has 2 USB ports)  and to access email when traveling. When we got back home we attacked - took it to UBreakIFix - they were unable to even get started on it. Talked to a Lenovo tech with no insights or suggestions - at least he called us back. We read and reread all the posts - and comiserated with the general suffering.

Here's what we did - we had no files that we needed to save, so wiping the drive was an acceptable road to travel.

1. We got to the command prompt (thanks DOS) and executed 'format c:' - an amusing informative message displayed - something to the effect that BitLocker was being turned off and if we wanted it back on after the format, we could reinitiate it. Surprisingly, the format command ran!

2. We went to the MS WINDOWS downloads and got the WIN 10 re-installer - do be careful, they say use a USB drive of at least 8 GB - make it bigger - we had corrupted files on the first attempt with an 8GB USB drive - the 32GB performed perfectly.

3. After the WIN reinstall, the keyboard and touchpad were disabled, though a USB mouse and keyboard worked  - we followed the advice in the previous posts and found the driver install package by searching 'Intel Platform Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit) - ideapad 100S-11IBY' on the Lenovo site. Ran the executable and VOILA - a working 100S-11IBY.

Lenovo support was no help - removing the battery etc - did not work - pounding nails into a hardwood board might have worked had we actually tried it - we weren't going to pay $75-$225 to have the geek squad reinstall WIN10 after aying $130 for the pc - not too cost effective and, if it ever happened again, we would be as much in the dark as before.

We feel somewhat confident that we can repeat this procedure if required.

Hope it helps someone - there's enough frustration to go around.

Cheers

j12345
Paper Tape
Views: 2,071
Message 18 of 24

Hi SlimSchwartz, you were forced to wipe all of your data in the process of recovery, correct?

SlimSchwartz
Paper Tape
Views: 2,056
Message 19 of 24

That's correct P.T. - on trips we use the 100 for transferring image files from SD cards to backup USB drives and infrequent e-mail access - nothing of value is stored locally - which made our solution a last ditch method - rather than trashing it or paying more than the PC cost for some 'geek squad' to reinstall WIN10 if they even get that far. It's now back to brand new condition and that works for us.
Cheers
Davenham2018
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,969
Message 20 of 24

I have also successfully deleted the dreaded Bitlocker blue screen in a similar way.

step 1 : create a bootable usb stick/flash drive with Windows 10 32bit.

step 2 : power up the Ideapad 100s with the usb inserted.

step 3 : a screen will appear asking which drive to install Windows 10. (Note all of the drives will have a warning symbol stating that Windows 10 cannot be installed on that drive for one reason or another) Drive 3 is the main drive and is where Bitlocker is present. DELETE this drive and it will be replaced with an "Unallocated drive"

step 4 : install Windows 10 onto the new drive 3.

step 5 : Windows 10 will now install

step 6 : As drive 3 has been effectively wiped/formatted/overwritten, Windows 10 install reaches the point where you have to enter your details you will find that the keyboard and scroll pad will not work. I used a usb mouse and keyboard to complete the required information and the install. 

Step 7 : once Windows 10 install has been completed you can then set up you Internet account and download the drivers from the Lenovo website for keyboard, mouse, sound etc.

step 8 : Lenovo Ideapad 100s back to normal - success!!!! (no thanks to Lenovo or Microsoft).

Note when you install Windows 10 it asks you to set up a Microsoft Account. I skipped this step.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors