Did you mean: 
aery17
Paper Tape
Views: 4,640
Message 1 of 21

Can't boot after bios update

Hi everyone!
I really need help!

My situation is: today I updated my ideapad 330s-15IKB's bios, because I opened lenovo vantage software and it showed me a recomended update. My pc was conected to the AC Power and It had more than 50% of charge while the process. After update finished, it turned on normally, but after a failed boot, the laptop restart and show a message like this: "preparing automatic repair". After the message is showed, options to recover windows system is showed. After that I restarted the laptop severals times and there was a time that the laptop boot to windows normally, and I thoght that the problem was solved, for that reason, I turned off the laptop, but when I wanted to use it again, the problem was there. Now the laptop always do the same, try to boot, it fail and then go to windows recovery options. I already set bios's values to default, and nothing, I tried to recover the system by lenovo buttom too, and nothing...

My laptop comes with windows 10 by default.

I hope You can help me solve this.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,562
Message 2 of 21

Re: Can't boot after bios update

Hi aery17,

Greetings from Lenovo.

As you are looking to boot the machine, suggest you to boot the machine through novo button.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

aery17
Paper Tape
Views: 4,556
Message 3 of 21

Hi Ashwin_Lenovo, thanks for reply. I already tried to do that and didn't work.
pwied
What's DOS?
Views: 4,200
Message 4 of 21

Hi Aery, 

I was wondering if you ever found a fix to your problem since I am having the same issues after bios update - 10[64] V.7SCN27WW. I found out that by entering the Boot options on startup you can start it normally, but it is a pain to have to do that every time. After some research i also found out that draining the battery (emptying it) and letting the computer rest for 20 minutes or so seemed to fix the issue for others.

For anyone else wondering i tried every single recovery option i know of only to get an unspecified error when recovering; both through the Windows UI and the CMD prompt. Same as you the problem came up 2 days after first getting the laptop.

Edit: I have an Ideapad 330s-15IKB running an intel core i5-  8250u 8gb ram and win10 64 bit OS

Anyhow, hope someone can help out!

Thanks all and happy new year!

jojo888
What's DOS?
Views: 4,170
Message 5 of 21

Found this on YouTube. Mine eventually worked on its on....

https://youtu.be/NsP7fgX8PDg

George5400
What's DOS?
Views: 4,065
Message 6 of 21

Hey pwied

Here's what worked for me. Like you, I had just purchased 2 Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB laptops, and on the first one, the very first thing that it did after getting to the desktop was ask if I wanted to do the 7SCN18WW BIOS update. I did it, and after the reboot it would go to advanced recovery, or flash the Windows 10 frowny face bluescreen with an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. I couldn't find the answer anywhere online, so I started trying a few things. First, I reset the BIOS back to factory defaults, but that didn't work. Here's what I had to do to bring it back:

Step 1: Make sure it is plugged in, then get into BIOS. You can do that by shutting it completely off, then tap F2 a few times after you hit the power button

Step 2: At the BIOS info screen, move the right arrow to get to the Configuration tab, and use the down arrow to get to Storage, and hit Enter

Step 3: One more down arrow, and click enter on Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology

Step 4: This should show the Optane volume- click enter

Step 5: You should see your Optane volume's member disks- the SATA drive and the Optane drive grouped- you need to disable the Optane volume, so click the Disable

Step 6: I did this with preserving data checked. It was a new laptop, so I didn't care about what was on it, but everything was saved. Tap the down arrow, and change Are you sure you want to disable? from No to Yes using F6 or F5, then one more down arrow, and click enter to disable the volume. It should finish in a few minutes. Then reboot

Step 7: Give it a little time- it should be super slow without the optane engaged, but it should boot from your main hard drive. From here, once you get back to your Win 10 desktop, open up your browser and do a search for SetupOptaneMemory.exe from Intel. Links will probably change, but the direct link right now is Intel Optane Setup

Select the SetupOptaneMemory.exe link for 64-bit Windows 10 (70mb).

Step 8: Run the setup- it should make you reboot, then it'll set itself up again- tell it the 16gb Optane will accelerate the 1TB SATA drive, another reboot, and you should be right back to where you were before the BIOS update.

The other laptop I had did just fine- the BIOS updated without a hitch.

FrustratedinAZ
Paper Tape
Views: 4,043
Message 7 of 21

Thanks for the thorough description, but my bios setup screen doesn't match yours.
When I go to Storage, I get a choice between "AHCI mode: (Serial ATA controller operates in AHCI mode.)
or
RST mode: (Enables Intel RST and System Acceleration with Intel Optane Technology.)
The default is RST. Switching to AHCI gives a warning that all data on the drive will be lost. I tried it anyway and got no change at all.
I've been on the phone with with Tech Support, and they just walked me through basic "Restore Defaults" and "Restore System" stuff that had no effect, so they told me to take it to Best Buy.
Best Buy said that if I didn't buy it from them, they can't help, so I'm left with shipping it to Lenovo...
This is ridiculous.
There should be some way to bypass the fault by going through the Command Prompt or something, but so far I haven't found anything that helps.
I did find an article somewhere in Tech Support that said the problem was probably caused by the Optane memory getting glitched by the BIOS update shutting it down improperly or something. That helpful article suggested going into the Setup Menu and turning off the Optane, rebooting, and turning Optane back on. It also said something about installing an update for Optane from Intel.
Of course I've been unable to find that article again, and it doesn't help at all because it requires going to a Windows menu, and the whole problem is that I can't get into Windows...!
If anyone has any ideas on how to get around this issue, it would be much appreciated.
bnjs77
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,000
Message 8 of 21

It worked also for the 7SCN26WW BIOS update. Thanks

George5400
What's DOS?
Views: 3,972
Message 9 of 21

Hey Frustrated- I do have controller mode, and the option to change it from RST to AHCI, but it is on RST- the option I'm talking about should be right underneath it. I have a pic here- you want to click on the Intel Rapid Storage Technology under the Controller Mode. BIOS_Controller.jpgStorage section of InsydeH20 BIOS

If you don't have Intel Rapid Storage Technology there, and it is just blank, then that's a whole different problem.

Hashan
What's DOS?
Views: 3,930
Message 10 of 21

This George5400's solution worked for me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors