Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hitesh-modi
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,959
Message 1 of 4

Cant boot from usb in UEFI Lenovo ideapad 320 15IKB

Hi,

I bought a new Ideapad 320, which came with DOS based OS. I was trying to install windows 10 on that. I created a bootable USB through Rufus. But I was not able to boot from that, however I was able to boot another dell laptop with the USB. Then I created a bootable DVD and tried to boot, but again the ODD was not listed on the boot manager (this was because by default the Boot Mode was UEFI). So I changed that to Legacy and I was able to boot through DVD. I installed Windows 10 but I had problem with USB and Camera. USB was working in mass staorage mode, but when I connected wireless keyboard/mouse's receiver, USB Headset; none of them got identified. In device manager I see "Port Reset Failed" for USB. I tried updating the USB drivers but nothing worked. I think I should install windows in UEFI mode. But in UEFI mode I am not able to boot from USB. I tried creating USB for UEFI through Rufus also I tried to create that manually using Diskpart and manually copying the ISO content, but unfortunately nothing is working. I do not know whats the issue. Can someone guide me how to created bootable USB to be used to install Windows 10 PRO x64 in UEFI mode.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,930
Message 2 of 4

Re: Cant boot from usb in UEFI Lenovo ideapad 320 15IKB

Hello and welcome,

I don't know about Rufus but the manual build of media should work if done correctly.

My only suggestion at this point would be to try using the Microsoft media building tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Set BIOS to UEFI mode when trying that media.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

hitesh-modi
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,874
Message 3 of 4

Hi zoltanthegypsy,
Thanks for the reply. I will try Windows creation tool as well. But I noticed that my USB disk is not getting listed in the boot manager. I tried it in both UEFI and Legacy mode.
Is it something to do with USB 3.0. The USB stick is 3.0 and laptop has two ports and both are 3.0.
My concern here is even if the USB is not correctly prepared for boot. It should appear in the boot manager, right? And if its not correctly prepared and I try to go ahead and boot, it should complain.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,857
Message 4 of 4

I can't answer your questions with certainty since I don't have a similar model.

I can say that usually in UEFI mode if media isn't prepared correctly it will not show up in the boot menu.  It may also be the case that in legacy mode if the flash drive's partition isn't set active it won't show up.  Not as certain about that.

IMHO your best bet at this point is to try the MS tool in UEFI mode an see what happens.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors