cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeorgeKao
Paper Tape
Views: 5,595
Message 1 of 10

Changing the up-arrow key to right-shift instead (Lenovo Ideapad Flex 4)

Thanks to Costco's deal on this laptop, got it for $850 new. So far I'm liking it, and it's got big shoes to fill, since I'm replacing my 2010 MacBook Pro 17".  I'm surprised that I actually use the touch-screen all the time now. I wasn't expecting to, but it's convenient to be able to touch in addition to mouse/trackpad around.

The biggest complaint is that the right-shift key is small, and sharing a space with the up-arrow key.  The up-arrow is where most fast typists like me would expect the right-shift to be.  

Thanks to forum member PCB here is the solution:

1. Download KeyTweak 2.3 -- install it. It's free.  It's a remapping / reassigning software for keyboards.

2. Open KeyTweak.exe (I use the Cortana search to find it)

3. On the app screen you'll see a small keyboard that's not exactly the same as what you have, but just tap the key "83"

4. In the drop-down menu "Choose New Remapping" select Right-Shift.

5. Click the "Remap Key" button.  Then Apply.  You don't have to re-start the computer now, but once you do, the up-arrow will now function as Shift!

You also have the option to re-map the right-shift to up-arrow but I didn't, because there's also an up-arrow in the number keypad on the right-most side of the keyboard.

I created a Lenovo forum account just to be able to share this trick, which is making me like this laptop enough to keep it Smiley Happy

mikulski5129
What's DOS?
Views: 5,157
Message 2 of 10

Re: Changing the up-arrow key to right-shift instead (Lenovo Ideapad Flex 4)

I am so thankful for this fix!  It was driving me crazy - I just got my ideapad 2 days ago and the typing was awful!!  This fix was fast and easy - thank you so much for the help!

kaczocht
Paper Tape
Views: 5,034
Message 3 of 10

THANK YOU!  Got the same machine from Costco to replace MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011 for 1/3 the cost to replace with new.  I am also liking it and now that the right shift is where it should be (double wide with two keys) I can actually type again.

tellrobin
What's DOS?
Views: 4,801
Message 4 of 10

Keytweak worked the first time I used it then I had to reset the laptop to factory defaults and lost keytweak. After reloading it I'm not getting a Run-time error 380. Any ideas?

LocalHero
Punch Card
Views: 4,367
Message 5 of 10

I'm getting the same error when I try to run keytweak.   This is the first time I've tried to run it and I've only had the laptop for a few days.   It's going back if I can't fix this keyboard.     Does anyone have a solution to the runtime error using keytweak?

Thanks!

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,362
Message 6 of 10

@LocalHero wrote:

Does anyone have a solution to the runtime error using keytweak?

I suggested a different solution using AutoHotKey in this post:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Having-a-dreadful-time-with-keyboard-la...

However, the person who had the problem never replied, so I have no idea whether it worked for him.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

LocalHero
Punch Card
Views: 4,346
Message 7 of 10

Thanks but it did and didn't work for me... it successfully remapped the RIGHT SHIFT to UP and UP to RIGHT SHIFT, but it also mapped LEFT SHIFT to UP.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,339
Message 8 of 10

@LocalHero wrote:

Thanks but it did and didn't work for me... it successfully remapped the RIGHT SHIFT to UP and UP to RIGHT SHIFT, but it also mapped LEFT SHIFT to UP.

Thank you for responding.  I had forgotten that the script would affect the LEFT_SHIFT key (I didn't think to test that when I wrote the script).  However, the solution is very simple (and I have tested it!) -- in the script, on each line change "shift" to "rshift" (without the quotes).  For anyone else who wants to try this solution, this is the correct AutoHotKey script:

rshift::up
    up::rshift

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

LocalHero
Punch Card
Views: 4,325
Message 9 of 10

That worked! Thanks!
Majrva
What's DOS?
Views: 3,954
Message 10 of 10

Thank you for sharing your solution.  I have rerouted my keys and I think I can now keep my computer.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors