Did you mean: 
Highlighted
EinfoMail
Punch Card
Views: 112
Message 1 of 4

Correlation of Virtualization with Graphics Processor and Optane Memory

Hi,

I have to buy a laptop with a configuration so that I can run 3-4 virtual machines (Windows 10 & Windows Server 2016) on VMware Workstation.

That's why I planned for a laptop with i5 8th Gen (i5-8250U), 4GB AMD Graphics and 16GB RAM but because of the Optane memory concept, I got confused. I read some articles about Optane memory.

i5-8250U supports Optane Memory, Speed Shift Technology, Hyper-Threading Technology, Virtualization Technology (VT-x), Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) and VT-x with Extended Page Tables.

However, at the end, I am still confused because of correlation of Optane Memory with Graphics Processor for the virtualization process.

• How is the Optane memory concept helpful for my requirements?

• On behalf of the Optane memory should I compromise with Graphics processor and RAM?

Benji96
802.11n
Views: 96
Message 2 of 4

Re: Correlation of Virtualization with Graphics Processor and Optane Memory

Intel Optane is just a caching technology for regular storage (SSDs, usually HDDs) using their low-latency 3D XPoint flash storage. It is in no way related to virtualisation, the CPU/GPU or other components. It is just there to accelerate the (probably) HDD which is being used in your system by storing commonly used files for faster access.

Did I/anybody else help you? Give a Kudo!
Did a post solve your problem? Set the post as solution!

Lenovo Yoga 530-14ARR (81H9003VGE)
EinfoMail
Punch Card
Views: 89
Message 3 of 4

As you said, Optane Memory is just a caching technology and it is not related to virtualization. Thank you for clarifying my doubt.

I observed in local stores. A salesperson is promoting for a laptop with Optane Memory. If I am right, Optane Memory is not the substitute of RAM so in stead of choosing Optane Memory, if I focus to increase the RAM, it'll be better for overall performace of a laptop including virtualization process.

Benji96
802.11n
Views: 86
Message 4 of 4

Exactly. HDD caching existed for long, they are just advertising these things because nobody else would buy a low-class laptop without fancy marketing words. It is typically used in lower-end devices which don't have a SSD as system storage. Your actual best bet is, like you said, upgrading the RAM. That gets you a lot more performance in virtualisation than buying a HDD-based system with Optane.

Did I/anybody else help you? Give a Kudo!
Did a post solve your problem? Set the post as solution!

Lenovo Yoga 530-14ARR (81H9003VGE)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors