Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ctpl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 664
Message 1 of 6

Create a Recovery Partition

I have a Flex 14 Ideapad having 25 GB of solid state disc as a different partition. Now I am thinking of creating a system recovery disc in this drive. However I do not see any option of choosing this drive in the dialogue for creating the receovery disc.

Could you please guide me as to how to create the recovery disc / partition for Flex 14 laptop on another drive on the computer itself.

Thank you in advance

AndyCalling
Token Ring
Views: 656
Message 2 of 6

Re: Create a Recovery Partition

You have a number of misunderstandings going on here. Firstly, all Win8.1 installations have a hidden recovery partition on the boot drive. You need a separate recovery disk/usb stick in case you get to the point where you cannot boot from the main drive. Best approach is to make a recovery disk/stick and choose to copy the recovery partition too, but do not delete it from your PC when it offers.

The recovery drive will be bootable (that's the point) so if you managed to get it on an internal partition you would have to make a dual boot configuration. This would be an odd way of doing things and against design. I recommend against such a strange approach.
pastafarian
Token Ring
Views: 640
Message 3 of 6

You can use onekey recovery to make a image on another drive.  It is highly recommended that it not be the local pc drive.  You can also make a one time windows recovery.  I suggest taking the time to do both, just in case.  Possibly you're confused becaust the default Lenovo recovery is in its own partition?  The manufacturers have been doing that for years to replace the winsdows disks you used to get with a new system.  Putting it in a hidden partition just makes it harder (but not impossible) for intrepid users to accidentily delete it.

ctpl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 621
Message 4 of 6

Hi pastafarian:

Thank you very much for your reply Smiley Happy.

Initially I tried onekey recovery, however it does not have any option of taking backup on local drive, hence posted this thread.

The drive on which I want to use for this purpose is a SSD and not anyway connected with my normal partition (which is a HDD). Since both of them are seperate and the SSD of 25 GB capacity is lying idle, I thought of using it productively for this purpose.

If nothing is possible, then I have to use the external USB drive to create the recovery partition.

ctpl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 620
Message 5 of 6

Hi Andy:

Thanks for your inputs. In my detailed reply below, I think I have clarified the configuration.

Will it be possible to create a recovery partition using this configuration?

pastafarian
Token Ring
Views: 616
Message 6 of 6

You don't need a seperate partition for a recovery file, it's just a file.  If you have a drive connected to the system and it is recognized by Windows?  Start Onekey recovery, chose backup and set that drive as the default path.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors