Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
7golfnut
Paper Tape
Views: 990
Message 1 of 4

Downgrade Rights

Hello, I've purchased an Ideapad 500-15ISK from a 3rd party retailer that hasn't been delivered yet.  I have an old Toshiba laptop running Win 7 64 bit that I've been using for years.  The Lenovo machine is coming pre-installed with Win 10 64 bit.  My wife has Win 10 and frankly, I don't like it.  I have tons of programs on the Toshiba that I'd like to port over, but I've heard Microsoft has done away with that feature in Win 10.  I have the full disk image of the Toshiba backed up on an external drive.  My questions are: 1), does the new machine come with downgrade rights so I can revert to Win 7 and then install the backed up image; 2) if I do that, I'm assuming I'd have to download all the required Lenovo drivers, install them on the Toshiba and do another backup or the machine won't work; 3) have any of you tried this and perhaps have an easier way to go about the transfer?  I also considered stripping out the Win 10 bloatware and doing a dual boot with Win 10 and Win 7.  Since the machine hasn't been delivered yet I don't have a S/N so I can't call tech support.  Any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated!  

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 957
Message 2 of 4

Re: Downgrade Rights

@7golfnut wrote:

I have the full disk image of the Toshiba backed up on an external drive.  My questions are: 1), does the new machine come with downgrade rights so I can revert to Win 7 and then install the backed up image; 2) if I do that, I'm assuming I'd have to download all the required Lenovo drivers, install them on the Toshiba and do another backup or the machine won't work. 

I was under the impression that "Windows 10 Professional" has downgrade rights, but that "Windows 10 Home" does not (but I might be wrong).

My 12-year old Sony laptop was supplied with an OEM "Windows XP" DVD.  I could re-install the Sony using the DVD, but I could not use that DVD to install XP on any other system.  I think that the DVD must have had an explicit check for that particular Sony model.  If your Toshiba was supplied with an OEM "Windows 7" DVD, the same may apply -- you might not be able to install it on the Lenovo.

In a similar fashion, it seems unlikely that you could install the Lenovo Windows 7 drivers on the Toshiba, create a drive image, copy that to the Lenovo, and end up with a working system.

It is difficult to be certain about any of these alternatives; they might work, but I would not rely on them working.  If you want "Windows 7" on your new Lenovo, you probably need to purchase a retail version from Ebay (the retail version can be transferred from one machine to another), or an unused OEM version (which cannot be transferred after it has been activated for the first time).

I purchased a retail version of "Windows 7 Ultimate" from Ebay to install on my Ideapad 700-15ISK, which I dual boot with the "Windows 10 Home" that was supplied with the 700.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

7golfnut
Paper Tape
Views: 940
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply.  You mentioned you bought a Win 7 copy and dual boot your machine; once you did that, were you able to put a backup on it in the Win 7 partition?  Almost everything I've read seems to point to having to reinstall all of my programs on Win 10, which would be practically impossible.  I've lost most of the disks after several moves and have been relying on keeping a system image on an external hard drive.  I've replaced the hard drive in the Toshiba twice and have been able to get the system back both times from my backup.  Again, I thank you for responding - I just find it hard to believe I have to start from scratch.  Surely someone else has bought a Win 10 machine and wanted to port their existing programs over.  It shouldn't be this hard...

7golfnut
Paper Tape
Views: 938
Message 4 of 4

P.S. Thanks again for your reply - I just checked and the info sheet on the machine says it's pre-installed with Win 10 Pro 64 bit.  Hopefully there's a chance I'll be able to downgrade and port my image over.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors