Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GPSIS
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 300
Message 1 of 6

EFI ERROR MESSAGE ON ATTEMPTED BOOT

Hello,

I getting an EFI error when I boot up all of a sudden.

I see previous post solutions about this issue, but I get a screen that wants a BIOS password, which I never set, thus i cannot get into the BIOS to re-order the boot up device sequence.

I also cannot figure out how to get into the laptop in order to ensure the hard drive is still connected.

Anyone know the default BIOS password? I cannot seem to find it in a Google search.

20180530_064337.jpg20180530_094549_Burst01.jpg20180530_094613.jpg20180530_094627.jpg

Regards!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 293
Message 2 of 6

Re: EFI ERROR MESSAGE ON ATTEMPTED BOOT

There is no default or backdoor password .  The only choices are to remember the password or replace the motherboard.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
GPSIS
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 265
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the speedy reply RichK!

i never set a BIOS password...that's the problem!

i have no idea how it got set...I assumed it was set at the factory. I've never had to go into the BIOS before.

Regards!

GPSIS
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 233
Message 4 of 6

I see from searching this forum that the issue I am facing has been around for at least 8 years, however Lenovo seems to take a blind eye to the fact that it is happening.

Paying out of pocket to purchase a systme board for an issue of Lenovo's doing is like buying the computer all over again! Lenovo has NO RIGHT to lock us out of a sytem we have paid for, then demand a ransom to give us access.

Regards!

Admin note; post edited in accordance with the Community Guidelines.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 227
Message 5 of 6

Hello GPSIS,

Lenovo does not set BIOS passwords at the factory on any systems with the exception being where corporates are ordering large volumes of Think systems and specifically request and pay for the service.

Passwords don't get set accidentally; on creation they require to be entered twice, the second time as a confirmation. Worst case is the possibly that you have left your notebook unattended and somebody has played a cruel trick and set a password without your knowledge; it wouldn't be the first time this has happened assuming you have owned the system from new and broke the seal on the box yourself.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

GPSIS
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 205
Message 6 of 6

SOMETHING set this password and since live alone and no one has my Windows password I don't see how your trick or treat scenario is possible. What about the others that have the same issue?...I guess the same GHOST is randomly setting BIOS passwords for Lenovo users right?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors