Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Presz16
Paper Tape
Views: 2,477
Message 1 of 11

Edge 2-1580 Brocken LCD

My son saved his Christmas and Birthday money to buy a Edge 2-1580 laptop from Bestbuy. He had the computer/laptop for 15 days before the LCD chipped and cracked. He did not drop it. Some how the lower right corner bent upward. The soft aluminum base bent easily. It pushed up into the glass and shatter the glass.

We took it back to BestBuy to get it repaired or replaced. The Geek Squad sent it to there repair center. The repair center called a few days later to tell us it would cost over $550 to replace the LCD unit. We found that the credit card company we used to purchase it would cover $500 in repairs. The unit cost him just over $649.

I think this is a design fault by Lenovo. To soft of a base unit. I would suspect that a lot more glass will need to be replaced in the future. The problem is the availability of the glass is restricted for the average person. 

If anyone has an idea of where to purchase the glass or if the internal parts will fit into a different model, please let me know. I have a feeling this will happen again after it returned.

krcbdavis
What's DOS?
Views: 2,030
Message 2 of 11

Re: Edge 2-1580 Broken LCD

I actually dropped mine, closed and on very soft carpet and it shattered the whole screen.  I can not find anyone to replace it for less than $600.  Did you find a solution to this?

mkcoehoorn
What's DOS?
Views: 1,592
Message 3 of 11

Re: Edge 2-1580 Brocken LCD

I've had something similar happen as well.  The non-profit I work for purchased one of these laptops just over a year ago.  The warranty ended last month.  And yesterday we found that the housing around the screen is coming apart in the bottom right corner.  The screen isn't broken yet, but if we try to close the lid or open it more, the housing splits further apart and pieces of plastic fall out.

The computer hasn't been dropped and it has only left the office a couple or three times, in a well padded case on those occasions.  There is no reason for this machine to be falling apart, except for cheap manufacturing.  But since the machine is 1 month out of warranty, I'm having trouble finding information on who I should call at Lenovo to get help with this. Everything I see is trying to get me to purchase an extension on the warranty (and I'm not going to attempt to talk my boss into spending more money on this machine unless we get some pretty fantastic service from Lenovo).

MarcWWolfe
What's DOS?
Views: 1,489
Message 4 of 11

I have the exact same model, also purchased from Best Buy. The way I see it there are 2 possibilities. 1, There are defects in a certain production batch. 2, Most likely you're all full of **bleep**. I have dropped mine many times. Once I even left it on the dash of my car (like a dumbass), went around a trun, and it slammed into the passenger door. i was sure it was **bleep**ed. It is fine. My main complaint is the foam that holds the SSD in place also pusshes the keyboard/wrist rest (just below the arrow keys) out which scuffs the screen when the lid is closed, and scuffs the anodized finish off of the wrist rest when in "present mode". I put a small piece of electrical tape over that area to prevent further wear.

ExtreFrustrated
Paper Tape
Views: 590
Message 5 of 11

I also had broken hinges. Sent to Lenovo under warranty for repair. It has been in their shop for 22 days. I cant get an update on the status. The customer service just reads from a script and says it is in progress. The website states in progress with no change in status. Very frustrating Company to deal with.

JonathanD
Paper Tape
Views: 513
Message 6 of 11

I've had the same issue, twice now. I've had my Edge 2 1580 for a year and a half and in that time the right hinge has seized up and split open the screen. The first time was in August of last year after having the laptop for only 11 months. Best Buy sent the unit off to be repaired and since I had the extended warranty, it was covered. Now, 7 months later, the same issue occurred only this time the LCD split open and cracked the screen. I'm very dissatisfied with this product and wanted to know if Lenovo will do anything to make this right?

Highlighted
ExtreFrustrated
Paper Tape
Views: 503
Message 7 of 11

I had my PC 6 months when the hinge broke. After 1 month in the repair shop I took it out of the box checked the operation and when I went to close it I noticed the screen separating at the hinge. I demanded a replacement. Lenovo wants me to send in for repair again. I refused to send it in since they already failed. I stated the first repair failed your design is flawed. Now they are scheduling a technician to come out and repair it. They failed to fix it in their shop no way he can fix in my house. Its all a waste of time dealing with them, they make junk and waste your time with excuses. Unfortunately a replacement will have the same flaw.

JonathanD
Paper Tape
Views: 345
Message 8 of 11

I contacted Customer Support 3 times today and was told that since my unit is now out of warranty that they won't take a service request, not that they couldn't, but that they won't . While in a chat session with Jaime, I asked to be contacted by a decision maker who could remedy the situation and was told that they didn't have a decision maker in their department. This is very frustrating. I would think that Lenovo would want to back up their products and make sure that customers are happy with their purchases. I'm very disappointed with Lenovo over all and will not recommend their products to anyone. 

JonathanD
Paper Tape
Views: 343
Message 9 of 11

I was chatting with Customer Support today (agent's name was Jaime) and when I said that this unit has a manufacturer's issue, they said that there is no manfacturer issue with the Edge 2. I said "obviously there is if this has happened to me twice now." The audacity of this person to tell me this when there are several people that have had the same issue with this model20180814_105944.jpg

JonathanD
Paper Tape
Views: 340
Message 10 of 11

Here's another picture of the damage this hinge has caused to my laptop screen.20180814_105918.jpgSeized right hinge breaking screen oper.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors