Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pluto1415
Paper Tape
Views: 8,987
Message 1 of 30

Edge 2 1580 keyboard will only type a 6

I've got a new Edge 2 1580.  Everything was good for the first week or so.  I haven't been shutting it down, I've just been letting it go to sleep/hibernate.  Last night I picked it up and noticed that the fan was running.  Upon opening it, I was unable to log in, but couldn't figure out why.  I switched to the onscreen keyboard and was able to log in.  The mouse/trackpad wasn't responding at all.  I opened Chrome and attempted to search for something and realized that no matter what key I pressed on the keyboard, all it would type was 6's.  (which would explain why my password was incorrect).

I decided to reboot the laptop and see what would happen, but it doesn't appear to actually shut down.  Even when I click Shut down (well tap on the screen) - the screen goes dark, power button continues to blink slowly.

This is a brand new laptop, and my first experience with Lenovo - but it's about to go back to the store.  I can't even find much information about the Edge 2 1580 at all, almost like it's a really out of date machine - but it's got the brand new chipset that was just introduced in November, and it came pre-installed with Windows 10, so it can't be that old.

Makes me want to fire up my 9 year old Dell D620 running Windows XP - it still works perfectly.

pluto1415
Paper Tape
Views: 8,958
Message 2 of 30

Re: Edge 2 1580 keyboard will only type a 6

BestBuy declared the laptop defective and gave me a new one.  We'll see how well the new one works, I haven't had a chance to even boot it up yet.

pluto1415
Paper Tape
Views: 8,873
Message 3 of 30

Well, I  booted up the 2nd laptop and the first thing I did once I finally got into Windows was run Lenovo Diagnostics.  There were 3 hardware failures, Graphics Display, something about PCI/Motherboard and WiFi adapter.  It got put right back in the box and returned to BestBuy.  I really wanted to like the Lenovo - but after 2 defective machines, I went with another brand.

mcaustinsr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,382
Message 4 of 30

The exact same thing happened to me when I purchased this model as a special "open box" deal.  I was assured the machine was recertified and had gone through rigorous testing and since I've been very pleased with Lenovo in the past, I jumped on the discount!  2 days later and right after getting the system loaded the way I like it with every thing transferred over, no matter which key I pressed presented a 6.  I switched to the on screen keyboard and that allowed me to login and take care of business before packing it up and heading back to the store.  Once I got to the store I talked with the manager and explained  that it couldn't have been recertified since the D drive was completely empty.  When I pulled the laptop out to show him, it wouldn't even power on.  For my trouble, the manager gave me a new one, unopened, at the open box price.  Maybe I got your machine!

I can understand your frustration getting 2 defective in a row.  If that had happened to me, I would have looked at another model, but I would have stayed with Lenovo.  They really do make a very fine product.  I've had HP's, Dells, Samsungs, ThinkPads and Lenovo.  ThinkPads are my favorite, with Lenovo coming in next.  When price matters, I go Lenovo.  So far the new Edge 2 1580 is operating flawlessly!

untensan
Paper Tape
Views: 8,328
Message 5 of 30

Misery loves company. I just sent in my Flex 3-1580 that I purchased on 2/10/2016. After dealing with tech support for a week, I sent it in on 5/15/2016. I had the same problem with the 6. What really sucks is that I purchased and loaded Microsoft Office so returning the unit was not an option or I'd be out the price of Microsoft Office. I've also learned that their online repair support center is not up and running. Of course, I purchased the unit because I needed it for some legal documents and now need it badly for my son's Boy Scout Eagle Project. The tech support seemed at least helpful, but, keeping me in the dark on the status of the repair is freaking me out. I'm afraid if I go out and buy another computer (Toshiba?), I'd get the Lenovo back from repair the same day.

DavDude
Paper Tape
Views: 7,974
Message 6 of 30

Same exact problem.  The keyboard will only type the #6 and the power button blinks even after shut down.  Tech support could not get it to shut down.  Tried Bios update but the newest one is already installed. Next I wil try a system restore and if that does not work it will go back.

Maybe I have your returned unit?  HaaaaHaaaa.

DavDude
Paper Tape
Views: 7,974
Message 7 of 30

Hi Paper Tape, Did you get your unit back?  I replied to your first post.  Same model same problem.  I am going to try a system restore but then it gewts shipped back. 

Thank you for any comments.

itsmejs
Paper Tape
Views: 5,764
Message 8 of 30

Yup, same exact problem here. Purchased my Lenovo Edge 2 in July 2016. In September of this month pressed the power button and notice the fan was going full speed and wouldn't stop. Couldn't log on because no matter what key I press, the laptop only types 6. When I shut down I get the power button blinking.  I can use the computer with a wireless keyboard and mouse but the fan still continues on full blast.  I called Lenovo and after an hour they couldn't figure out what was wrong. My options from them are to either send it in to them under warranty as long as it't hardware related or call there software  team to see if they can fix it but they would charge me over $100.  Not happy at all with Lenovo. Should have brought a Dell. 

itsmejs
Paper Tape
Views: 7,536
Message 9 of 30

I was told Lenovo laptops were reliable.  All was well the first two months. Now the fan runs on high never shutting off, the keyboard will only type the #6, the mouse pad will not work, and the power button blinks even after shut down. When I found that other owners of this Lenovo laptop had the same issue, I figured that Lenovo Tech Support would know what's going on. After over an hour on the phone with Lenovo, they had no clue. I opened the Lenovo Solution Center and ran all hardware tests and they all passed.   I saw here that this issue has been solved but I can't see the solution other than people returning the laptop and buying an other brand.  Does anyone know what is causing this problem?

mcaustinsr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,524
Message 10 of 30

Well, I can't edit what I wrote, so here's an update.  The 2nd Edge 2 did the same thing!  Nothing but 6's from the keyboard.  This time I called support since this had to be a known problem.  Support said it was news to them.  Really?  There's postings in here about it and now I've had a 2nd one out of the box with the same issue and it's news to them?  I can't be that unlucky to get the only 2.  And what about the people who posted in here?  Does Lenovo not read these?

I took it back and ended up getting the more expensive gamers Edge 2 laptop with the faster processor and all.  I waited 4 days before I went through all the effort of putting everything on there and wasting my time.  I'm glad I waited.  The 4th day, just before I was going to install my stuff, the THIRD Edge 2 started typing 6's across the screen.  One more call to Lenovo.  They wanted me to help them because they "still didn't know about it."  The alternative was to send the laptop to them for them to examine.  Meanwhile I'm out a laptop while they try to figure out the problem.  Maybe if they had offered a loaner, I might have gone for it, but when I mentioned I can't go that long without a computer, she said I understand.  Lenovo, I'm done wasting my time and resources to help you figure out your problems without compensation. 

I tried staying loyal to Lenovo, but there's just so much I can take.  After 3 in a row failing right out of the box, I would say I went above and beyond to stay loyal.  It didn't pay off.  For the first time in ... I can't remember how long, I looked at other brands.  I now own an ASUS.  It was cheaper, it's faster, more memory, with a 1 terabyte drive.  And more important, all the keys on the keyboard work as designed.

Top Kudoed Authors