Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MurphyZoo
Paper Tape
Views: 8,706
Message 1 of 18

Edge 2 wifi issues after Dec 10 Windows 10 update

My Lenovo Edge 2 appears to have done a Windows 10 update yesterday and now has issues with the wireless adapter.   I was working fine the day before and yesterday morning.

I started the laptop up in the evening yesterday and was greeted with full-screen messages indicating that Microsoft was setting things up for me and all my documents would be available in their proper locations.   I'm used to these screens from upgrading other computers from windows 8 to windows 10, however, this Edge 2 came with Windows 10.

When I was finally logged in, my laptop had no internet connection from the wifi adapter.  In fact, the device manager shows an error with the Intel wireless adapater.   I downloaded the drivers from Intel and installed them ("Repair" in this case) and things seemed to work for a short time (~1-2 minutes).  Then the wifi disconnected and the adapter dissapeared in the networking section of device manager with an unknown device listed.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers a couple of times, sometimes with the 1-2 minutes of wireless connectivity, othertimes with no improvement.

I do have other wireless laptops connected to the wireless router during all of this, so I'm sure it is a laptop issue.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to try next to get my wireless working again?

Thanks

Edit:  My laptop is a Lenovo Edge 2-1580 80QF

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,644
Message 2 of 18

Re: Edge 2 wifi issues after Dec 10 Windows 10 update

I would probably try using System Restore to restore the restore point that should have been made automatically during the Windows Update that started the problem.  (See link below)

If that resolves the problem, look for, and install, any updated WiFi Adapter driver from Lenovo (preferred) or Intel before allowing Windows to update again to make sure it works.     

I would also run checkdisk on the system before updating again too. (see below)

If you cannot restore from a restore point, locate the WiFi Adapter in device manager and delete it;  and when prompted, delete the existing driver files and reboot.    When prompted for drivers when Windows detects the WiFi adapter, point to the latest driver you downloaded from Lenovo.

Best of Luck.

Recovery options in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

How to run CheckDisk

1. Right Click on Start Menu
  2. Select Administrator Command Prompt
  3. Type Chkdsk /F
  4. Type Y to check on next restart when prompted

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /f
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) Y

This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

MurphyZoo
Paper Tape
Views: 8,633
Message 3 of 18

I went into the system restore and there aren't any restore points available (strange).

the update is the Windows 10  update to version 1511.

I went to the Lenovo website and downloaded the drivers.  They were identical to the ones on the Intel website.  I've attemted to install them several times now.

Checkdisk didn't find any issues.

I called Lenovo and spent about an hour on the phone with them.  They were very little help, checking basic items I have checked a number of times.  They determined it was a driver / software issue and transferred me to the software department (premium support) which wanted $199/year to provide any help.

So here is where I'm at.  My wireless still doesn't work.

If I reboot the system, I can go to the Device Manager and see the wireless adapater.   If I update the drivers to the ones I've downloaded, the wireless sometimes works for 30 seconds to 2 minutes, and then disconnects.  Once it disconnects and if I try and restart, the system hangs on the restart page then eventually gives me a error about a power down device issue.   I can repeat these steps numbers of times.  Also, after the wireless disconnects, the wifi adapter dissappears from the Network Adapters section of the Device Manager.  

Any ideas on where to go from here without paying Lenovo $200?

thanks

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,625
Message 4 of 18

You do not mention whether you manually removed the actual device driver for your WiFi adapter.

Sometimes the drivers get corrupted, and just removing the device will not remove the previous driver, so if it is corrupted, it will be used again when the hardware is re-detected, and you will not be able to install the one you download because Windows will state that it is already installed.  

To get around that, you need to first delete the existing driver.

• Download the latest driver installer for your WiFi card and save it where you can find it.
  • Right click on your WiFi adapter in Device Manager and choose "uninstall
  • On the "Confirm Driver Uninstall Page", check the box to "Delete the driver software for this device"
  • Run the installer for your WiFi adapter
  • Reboot if needed.

If that option is not presented, you can also Uninstall the existing driver, or Roll Back to a previous version of the driver by Right Clicking on the device, choosing properties and then selecting the Driver tab.

Note:  If a previous version is available you might try that first. 

Test to see if you can create a System Restore point manually by following the steps below.  It is always a good idea to create one before installing any software, or adding new devices anyway, so it is good practice anyway.

How to create a System Restore Point in Windows10

1. Right click on the Start Menu
  2. Select (left click) on System
  3. Select System Protection
  4. On the System Protection tab, verify that your main OS or System hard drive is listed; and is shown with Protection Turned on
  5. Next click on Configuration and verify again that System protection is enabled; and that the size available for system restore points is at least 20 GB
  6. Create a new System Restore point
  7. Verify that you can see your new restore point by running System Restore to the point where you can select a restore point, and then cancel.

It is a bit unusual to not have any System Restore points, and that could be a sign of malware/viruses on your system as many threats disable System Restore to prevent their removal, and some can affect network connectivity by inserting themselves as a proxy between you and the Internet.   

I would suggest scanning your system using a tool called MalwareBytes AntiMalware, which is free from https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/.  It will ask you during install if you want to start a trial of the full version, but you do not need to enable the trial to scan your system manually.   Even though you may already have anti-virus on you computer, the MalwareBytes is better than most for catching Adware/Spyware, and a second opinion is always good.   

Note The trial version does not run all the time to protect you in real-time like the full version, so you must manually scan your system to check for threats.

Can you get more details (the exact error message received) when your "system hangs on the restart page then eventually gives me a error about a power down device issue"  I know that they are sometimes hard to catch, but any more details would help.

Any errors in the Event logs might be helpful as well.

• Accessing the Windows Event Logs
  • Right click on Start Menu
  • Select Computer Management
  • Select Even Viewer
  • Select Windows Logs
  • Look for errors in the Application and System logs that might be related to your issue, or that look suspicious and report back the errors if found.

Good luck

MurphyZoo
Paper Tape
Views: 8,620
Message 5 of 18

Thank you for the additional information.  I'm working through the steps now and will post an update.

My system only had about 10GB allocated to system restore with 171MB used.   I've bumped it up to 30GB (I have the space) and am creating a restore point.

I've dowloaded malware bytes and will run that (I've used super-anti-spyware in the past and currently have McAfee Internet Security installed).  I'll also use hijackthis to get a system record to see if there is anything unusual there.

My device manager isn't currently showing the network card.   I'm going to reboot and/or reinstall/repair the intel wireless drivers to see if it will show up and then will follow the instructions you've provided.

Thanks again.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,618
Message 6 of 18

Ok, good luck

vieirarj
Paper Tape
Views: 8,547
Message 7 of 18

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM since the last Windows 10 Update. Also have tried to unistall and re-instal the Intel driver a buch of times, with no effect for more than one or two minutes.

To make things worse, I'm in Brazil, where Lenovo does not even carry the Edge 2 model yet.

Any luck solving it?

MurphyZoo
Paper Tape
Views: 8,527
Message 8 of 18

I don't have a solution yet.  It is very frustrating.  I'm stuck with a wired connection for now.

I am seeing a few additional symptoms.  One is related to the system restore point.   I'm unable to manually create one.  I get an error.  Googling the error points me to restart a specific server (sorry, can't exactly remember which one right now).  That sevice never stops well enough to restart.

I've basically made no progress here.  I'm convinced Lenovo would want me to do a full system reset (back to factory original) - I'm not going down that path yet.

As a very temporary measure, I bought a TP-Link TL-WR841N router and have it connected to my laptop.  I've configured it to be my wireless access to my network.   Unfortunately, this doesn't make things portable.

Any other ideas on what to check here?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,516
Message 9 of 18

Not being able to create a System Restore Point may point to the cause of your other problem, so if you can provide the error message you are receiving, and/orthe service that you cannot stop and start, it might help.   I am guessing that the service you cannot stop/start is the Shadow Copy Service, which could point to some level of Windows System File corruption, so you should run the System File Checker utility.

To run System File Checker

1. Right Click on the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  2. In the Administrator Command Prompt window, type:   

sfc /scannow

Note: Let the System File Check scan run until it completes.  I usually appears to hang at about 20%, but just wait and it will eventually complete, but may take up to an hour to finish depending on the system.

Once it completes, it will give one of the following results:

• "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"  (If you get this message, then system file corruption was likely not your problem)
  • "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"  (If you get this message, then your problem might have been corrupted system  files, and the problem may be fixed)
  • "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"  (If you get this message, see below on how to run DISM to fix a corrupt Windows Component Store, and then run the SFC scan again)

Note:  If you get the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"  you will need to run the System File Checker scan in safe mode, but before doing so, make sure that the PendingDeletes and PendingRenames folders exist under %WinDir%\WinSxS\Temp (normally C:\Windows\WinSxS\Temp), and if not, create them.

How to start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If the SFC scan reports ""Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" then that usually means that the locally cached copies of the system files in the Windows Component Store are corrupt as well.  Luckily there is another tool called the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM)  that can download and fix Windows Component Store corruption.  

Note: This can take a while to complete as well depending on the speed of your Internet connection, so if you can, plug it into a hardwired connection as they are usually about 20% faster that WiFi.

To run DISM

1. Make sure you are connected to the Internet, and close all programs
  2. Right Click on the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  3. In the Administrator Command Prompt window, type:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Note: After running the DISM utility successfully, you must run the System File Checker again to fix any corrupted system files using the now updated Component Store.

Reboot and test to see if your problem persists.

Good Luck.

MurphyZoo
Paper Tape
Views: 8,508
Message 10 of 18

I ran the sfc /scannow command and didn't find any issues.  I got the " Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." message at the end.

I have tried creating a restore point again, and it worked once.  The second time, it failed.  (more about that later)

My system appears to have applied 3 additional windows updates since the one that started the problem.  I now have Windows 10 Home version 1511 OS Build 10586.36.    I have 2 cumulative updates (KB3116900 12/14) and (KB3124200 12/17) as well as a security update for IE flash (KB3119147 12/14).

The only thing I could find about KB3124200 was from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3124200 saying that I get "improved functionality" from 1511.   

I was somewhat excited because I noticed a list of wireless networks when I clicked on the network icon in the system tray.  I unplugged my wire connection and was able to connect to my wireless network for about 20 seconds before it disconnected (same issues as the original).    I had created the first system restore point before unplugging the wired connection.  I tried the second one after unplugging the wired connection and having my wireless fail.  The second creating a restore point took a so long that I gave up (>30 minutes).  

I did save a HiJackThis log if that might help.  It is long, so I didn't want to post it here unless it will help.  I didn't see anything that stood out as an issue in it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors