Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
finfin
What's DOS?
Views: 12,985
Message 1 of 8

Flex 10 Legacy BIOS??

Hi,

I'd like my next portable to be an Ideapad Flex 10 but I'm concerned that I might be restricted to Windows 8x with the 10. Although the Flex 10 isn't yet well supported 'out of the box' by Linux, it seems that Flex 14 and 15 owners have made use of some "legacy BIOS" feature that has at least enabled them to get to first base with Fedora (and possibly Ubuntu. ) What I don't know, and need to find out, is whether the Flex 10 carries the same legacy bios as its larger siblings? I'm hoping someone here will have a definitive answer. With grateful thanks in advance...

finfin

finfin
What's DOS?
Views: 12,942
Message 2 of 8

Re: Flex 10 Legacy BIOS??

In case it should be of help to others, I received the following reply from Lenovo UK Service Dept:

" I can advise that you will be able to change the OS from windows 8 if you would prefer a different operating system for the FLEX 10. This can done by changing the options in the BIOS from UEFI boot mode to Legacy. All our machine models can do this apart from any machines running Windows 8 RT operating system."

ATB

finfin

Qjr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,626
Message 3 of 8

Unfortunately my model is not possible to change the system. No option legacy bios
finfin
What's DOS?
Views: 12,601
Message 4 of 8

Many thanks for sharing your experience. I can only hope you didn't buy your Flex 10 on the strength of the information Lenovo sent me. For other reasons I decided against a Flex 10 in the end and went for a standard laptop instead. However, I was thinking of getting a Flex 10 at some point in the not too distant and your heads up has certainly put me off doing so. Sounds like anyone looking at the Flex 10 (or larger) ought to get personal clarification/guarantee from Lenovo technical support that it will allow for an alternative operating system to be installed, if that's important to know before deciding to purchase.

A note to Lenovo Technical Support: Please can you confirm here, one way or another exactly what the situation is with regard to Legacy BIOS option on the Flex 10 (and larger) units. Thank you.

Qjr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,596
Message 5 of 8

I decided not to bother with the installation, I have the opportunity to return goods within 7 days and I'm going to use it.
I buy something else (not lenovo).

paferry
What's DOS?
Views: 4,263
Message 6 of 8

Hallo, I bought al flex 10 with W8 inside; made upgrade to W8.1 and W10 32 bit.

I'd like to make a clean install to pass to W10 64 bit also for using all 4 GB ram, but notebook don't see bootable usb.

I tried to change option in BIOS  but in Boot I have only UEFI and Windows Boot Manager says have no option.

I disabled Secure Boot but nothing change.

I also tried to flash bios to 93cn59ww for bios 64bit but gave error in update.

In which way may I able to start by bootable usb (the same with an external dvd player with ISO)?

Thanks

Paolo

Orang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,461
Message 7 of 8

Can't get Windows 7 installed on this machine. Not acceptable
Orang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,192
Message 8 of 8