Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mcinator
Serial Port
Views: 424
Message 1 of 4

Flex-15D Will Only Start On Battery, Not With Charger

I purchased a Flex 15D-20334 that the previous owner had complained that it would not start or sometimes shut itself down. The prior owner did remove the hard drive in which I replaced and installed Windows 10 Pro. After testing it I found it would run perfectly and experienced no unexpected shut downs. What I did find that the laptop would not start with the charge cable plugged in. Removing the charge cable the laptop starts normally. If I plug in before Windows starts the laptop immediately stops the boot process and shuts down.

Could this be a weak power component in the motherboard? I have another Flex-15 I parted out that had a bad motherboard that I ordered an Intel board to resurrect it. Should the Flex 15D prove to have a bad motherboard could this Intel board work in the one with the AMD processor?

The best solution is to find the issue with the AMD board (Flex 15D) and get it going. Does anyone know why this laptop not start with the charge cable plugged in? 

Second question. If the AMD board is bad could it be replaced with an Intel?

Thank you all who offer solutions and suggestions.

JMc

Mack
Mcinator
Serial Port
Views: 243
Message 2 of 4

Re: Flex-15D Will Only Start On Battery, Not With Charger

I did some additional testing and found when pulling the charger cable before shutting down and after completely shut down the laptop will start normally with the power cable plugged in. Again, when shutting down with the charge cable plugged in the laptop would not start until the charger cable was pulled out. Even then the start button had to be pressed a couple times before starting. I repeated this test and that time everything did the same thing except I had to press the start button 4 times. This definitely appears to be a weak power component on the motherboard.

It appears I have a bad motherboard. Can anyone confirm this or perhaps offer another solution to try?

Thanks a bunch everyone.
Mack
Dugint
What's DOS?
Views: 109
Message 3 of 4

I have a similar issue. Did you rectify the problem?

Mcinator
Serial Port
Views: 58
Message 4 of 4

Try resetting Windows 10. I did get it fixed last year but am fuzzy how I did it. Maybe the reset did it.
Mack

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors