Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Connor3400
Paper Tape
Views: 1,888
Message 1 of 13

Flex 2-15 Keyboard/Trackpad no longer working

Basically the keyboard/trackpad are no longer working for my lapop (Flex 2-15).

Here's the run down of what I know:

1) Function keys still work such as brightness up or down and turning off the screen.

2) In device manager there is the yellow traigle with an exclamation point for the trackpad, but the keyboard driver seems functioning properly.

3) On the mouse driver it says Code 10, timed out.

4) I've tried uninstalling the mouse driver and restarting to see if windows would install automatically, and the driver comes back, but with the same code 10.

5) Touch screen works fine.

6) Running Windows 8.1.

7) Tried restoring from factory settings and the issue is still here.

8) USB mouse and keyboard work perfectly fine.

9) Tried switching modes to see if keyboard/trackpad was disabled, but no luck there either.

Greatly appreciate some help here as this is beyond frustrating since I've only had this laptop for a little over a month and can no longer return it. Also Lenovo doesn't support anything besides hardware and wants $70-140 to troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks!

Guru
Views: 1,878
Message 2 of 13

Re: Flex 2-15 Keyboard/Trackpad no longer working

Whoa, Lenovo cannot charge you for keyboard failure. All lenovo laptops are covered by atleast 1 year warranty.

Since you already tried a factory reset, it seems like a hardware problem.

(Reset removed all your personal stuff from laptop?)

1) Where did you purchase this from?

2) Did the keyboard/mouse stopped working suddenly or something happened?

3) Check your warranty, phone numbers etc here -

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/contactus

Call them and ask for repair. They cannot charge for a hardware failure.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Connor3400
Paper Tape
Views: 1,875
Message 3 of 13

They were trying to charge me for a "Software failure" which apparently isn't covered. I'm almost positive it's driver issues of some sort that they needed update seeing as the function keys work on the keyboard but the rest dont because the trackpad doesn't work.

But if they're going to try and charge me for a software issue I might as well get them to replace the keyboard under warrenty just to rule that out. Sucks it's only been a little over a month.

I purchased the laptop from Newegg.com since it was the cheapest I could find. They only do a 30-day refund/replacement unless you paid for extra insurance (which I never do since usually I can figure out most simple laptop issues).

I usually just turn off this laptop as it's not my main one, but one I'm going to lend to my brother. And one day the keyboard was working fine and then the next day I turned it on I had issues. Worked fine for the few weeks leading up to it. I've updated windows a few times, but none of the updates were keyboard related and factory restoring didn't work so I'm at a loss.

Guru
Views: 1,867
Message 4 of 13

Its very surprising that it just stopped working.

How did you perform the software reset?

Did you go into recovery screen and do a reset or you did a recovery to an old restore point?

You are correct this could be a software driver issue. have you tried downloading the drivers from Lenovo website?

Here is the link -

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/flex-series/flex-2-15-notebook-lenovo/...

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Connor3400
Paper Tape
Views: 1,851
Message 5 of 13

I restored from a restore point in Windows, and tried installing those exact drivers with no luck .

How would I go about getting to the recovery screen to try a restore from there?

Guru
Views: 1,847
Message 6 of 13

Here is your manual -

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_flex_2_14_flex_2_14d_flex_2_15_flex_2_15d_ug_...

Read Page 30 for RESTORING.

Backup any personal files before restoring the laptop.

The NOVO button has to be pushed when the laptop is in shutdown condition. Make sure you have full battery charge.

Do not interrupt recovery process once it has started.

Connor3400
Paper Tape
Views: 1,843
Message 7 of 13

The keyboard doesn't respond when the boot menu comes up after pressing the Novo button haha. But I tried the restore from the Lenovo program installed, as well as the Windows system restore. Both no luck.
Connor3400
Paper Tape
Views: 1,839
Message 8 of 13

Alright ran through every way of uninstalling/installing the drivers and trying to restore from backup and nothing works.. Is there really just no up to date software?! Can't believe that's the case, but it just might be.

Should I just send this laptop in for repair under the warrenty and let them try and figure it out?

Thanks for the help so far by the way.

Guru
Views: 1,833
Message 9 of 13

I think we have tried everything we can.

You should send it for repair, detail the problem but NOT say that you think it might be software or hardware related.

Let them figure it out.
Just tell them when and how it happens.
Connor3400
Paper Tape
Views: 1,829
Message 10 of 13

Any advice for how to start this repair process? Their site just sends you through loops.. is there something to fill out and apply for or do you just call?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors