Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MArmshaw
Fanfold Paper
Views: 545
Message 1 of 8

Flex 3 Battery Replacement

I needed to replace the battery in my Flex 3 notebook. I found a real cheap ($4.00, instead of $60.00) Li-ion battery, but the original was a Li-Polymer battery. The internet said they could be interchanged ("upgraded"). It is a Lenovo battery, the exact same size as the original (screw holes match, connectors are the same, etc.). I realize I should have checked here first, but did't think too. I replaced and charged for about a half-hour. It boots normally but the screen brightness changes intermittenly and it does not work unless its plugged in. I unplugged the cpu to make sure no damage occurs. Is it possible that a ion battery takes longer to charge, or that the OS is having difficulty measuring the battery's current level? Also, would I need to replace the power adapter because of the change battery type?

Matt Armshaw

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 495
Message 2 of 8

Re: Flex 3 Battery Replacement

Hi MArmshaw!

Welcome to the Community,

Batteries listed in hardware maintenance manual are the ones that is tested to be compatible with the laptop. If you could share us the exact model of the Flex 3 that you're using, that'll help us check that out. You might find the link below helpful in checking the model no. of your laptop.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/find-product-name

Also, we cannot guarantee that using a different charger might fix the problem. What's happening right now could be the result the replacement.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

MArmshaw
Fanfold Paper
Views: 485
Message 3 of 8

Ok. The computer is a Flex 3 1120 (3-1120 I believe). The model number of the battery that came with the computer is L14M2P22. The battery I bought to replace it was L14S2P21. 

MArmshaw
Fanfold Paper
Views: 459
Message 4 of 8

When I checked for hardware maintenance manuals for Flex 3 1120, all I got was the regular support screen for this model. I checked the regular manual and it had no information for battery problems other than "recharge the battery". The above information is correct (refering to battery models), both batteries are the same size (except in thickness perhaps). Do you think it would be dangerous to leave the computer plugged in to see if the battery will charge over a longer length of time? I don't want to give an extended source of energy if it might cause damage. I also thought I might not have securely inserted the pins on installation, causing limited charge to the battery. Should I proceed? Is this behavior normal for an ion battery?

Matt

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 456
Message 5 of 8

Based on the Hardware Maintenance Manual on page 61 item no.4 it shows that the L14S2P21 battery is listed as compatible replacement part. I would recommend that you check the connection between the battery and the motherboard make sure that it is properly plugged in. You may use the original charger that came with the laptop and charge the battery for 3-4hours while turned off. 

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

MArmshaw
Fanfold Paper
Views: 437
Message 6 of 8

I opend up the laptop to make sure the battery model was correct and pins were inserted properly. Now the computer does not power up at all, and takes no charge. I think I will have to replace the battery with the original model, but it is not something I will do immediately - I can't afford the $60.00 plus dollars. Does anyone have alternative suggestions? I have a number other computers, so this situation is not critical. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Matt

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 436
Message 7 of 8

The battery that you bought might be defective. If the battery is the problem, you have no option but to replace it. 

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Dallas_Danny
Paper Tape
Views: 169
Message 8 of 8

Dear Lenovo,

It is eveident to all of us that you are completely ingnoring the issue with the battery not charging on our systems. I have tryed with 2 new ac adapters, and 2 new batteries just to make sure, then I started messing with the drivers and the system configuration, and in one of those trials I was able to charge the battery to 100% then turned it of and on disconnected the power supply and let it discharge to make sure the new battery gets primed. Well after it discharged the computer turned of suddenly and when I plugged in the ac charger the issue happened again and I haven't been able tyo charge it since.. PLease don't give us any more ambiguos or missleading suggestions and fix your product or you will have a PR disaster coming your way, and eveidently every time someone hears the word LEnovo they will rant about the company ignores their customers and how there products are so bad, so stop making up excuses and give us a solution!! Flex 3-1480 - Product 80R3, Serial ********, Bios D3CN28WW. My test tells me that the issue is with the drivers and/or your software utilities that load to "save battery"  I expect a prompt and complete resolution to this issue for all o us. Greatly appreciated. Danny.

Moderator note: serial number removed to prevent abuse.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors