cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aninkling
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 69
Message 1 of 4

Flex 3 has green random stripes on startup, reddish hue and fading images when operational

There is something wrong with the screen.  At startup there are vertical green lines or entire vertical patches of green as windows starts up.  When the signin screen comes up, the green lines "disappear" but the entire image has a red hue.   I've fiddled with the screen temperature and moved it to be as cool as I can get it but it is not enough.  

As I click from screen to screen, the image of the previous screen either slowly disappears or it remains in the background, like the old tube displays that have burned out.   

I would guess this is a hardware problem.  I have the latest drivers and bios.  I took the computer apart and looked at all the hardware components and nothing was obvious.  So... given this information, what needs to be replaced?  Oh, if I hook up to an external monitor with HDMI the image on the monitor is perfect.  

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 64
Message 2 of 4

Re: Flex 3 has green random stripes on startup, reddish hue and fading images when operational

fwiw, it does sound like the LCD panel is defective.  

The fragile cable which connects motherboard to LCD panel may be damaged by fatigue where it passes through the screen hinge if the laptop is several years old.  Check the plugs haven't worked loose too.   Does adjusting the screen position/angle affect the screen image which would suggest there is a problem with the cable?

Worse case scenario is motherboard has a fault.

(I don't work for Lenovo)

aninkling
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 60
Message 3 of 4

Re: Flex 3 has green random stripes on startup, reddish hue and fading images when operational

Cable looked OK, though I didn't pull it through the hinge.  All connections good.  No change with angle or position.  When you say LCD is defective, does a new LCD come with all the hardware that drives the panel itself, not the creation of the image?  The fact that I get a perfect picture on a secondary monitor out of HDMI suggests to me that the graphics circuits are fine, it's just the hardware that drives the screen itself.  Do you agree?  

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 43
Message 4 of 4

The LCD panel will have a built in circuit board to convert the signals received via the screen cable to drive the pixels on the screen.

Nothing is certain.  Only way to confirm the LCD panel is faulty is by substitution.

Separating the LCD panel from the digitizer glass is probably easier said than done.  Risk of cracking the digitizer springs to mind.

https://youtu.be/sukNvZz9nw8

Perhaps replace LCD and digitizer as one assembly using one salvaged from another faulty/incomplete Flex 3 at the right price.

(I don't work for Lenovo)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors