Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turtok
Punch Card
Views: 21,746
Message 81 of 177

Re: Flex 3 screen turns off when working on battery

I certainly hope so. Good to hear you're still going strong. It'll be nice to actually have a laptop instead of this small-desktop-alternative thing I've got now.
tjr1
Punch Card
Views: 21,718
Message 82 of 177

@turtok wrote:

Also a little surprised Lenovo offered you a Yoga in exchange for your flex. I was going to send mine in as a test subject as well but decided against it when they told me they wouldn't be able to offer a replacement, only a refund. Just thought they'd have a fix by now. 

@MattDN93 wrote:

I hope so too. I definitely know how frustrating that is. As for you mentioning TJ's Yoga, isn't it essentially the same device, different name? Yoga 500's are the EMEA/Asia SKU whilst the Flex 3 is basically the US version of the Yoga? Or is there another difference?

For what it's worth, Lenovo ended up sending me a newer generation Yoga 710 14", which as far as I can tell doesn't come as a rebadged Flex (though the Yoga 510 comes as the Flex 4). It's lighter, thinner, and with a larger screen... and best of all, the screen doesn't black out at all! In any case - hopefully you all get some answers soon, and good luck with the reformat, turtok!

TJ

chsunil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 21,636
Message 83 of 177

The issue happens on my Flex 3 too that I bought at Costco. Other than the fact that it always happens when I am running on battery I could not figure out a consistent way to recreate the issue. Sometime it happens every 5 minutes. Sometime it never happens until the battery drains out.  I am almost ready to return this laptop but hate the work involved in buying a new one and installing all updates and s/w again. Has anyone seen this problem go away after installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update that was released yesterday.

UPDATE

Well I installed the Anniversary update this morning and the problem with the display still persists. This laptop is going back for sure!!

turtok
Punch Card
Views: 21,636
Message 84 of 177

Just wanted to come back and say I reformatted yesterday morning with the new anniversary update. Windows pulled down all the right drivers within a matter of minutes after booting. I didn't install anything from Lenovo except yoga mode control.

It's too soon to get excited but so far I've run the battery down twice with no black screens. Also, a couple unrelated problems are fixed which is nice, including one that completely crashed my computer anytime I tried streaming from Hulu. 

I'll report back after more testing. 

MattDN93
802.11n
Views: 21,603
Message 85 of 177

@chsunil sorry to hear that the problem is still there - even after the Anniversary Update. Have you tried migrating your user profile away from the one that was setup when you first got the laptop? It's a shot in the dark but since doing that (for other reasons actually) I've STILL had no problems.

@turtok - awesome! I haven't even gotten the Anniversary Update yet. STILL no blackscreens...it's been just over 3 weeks and things seem to be going well *knocks on wood again*
turtok
Punch Card
Views: 21,555
Message 86 of 177

Hey guys, I'm still going strong with the new reformat! No black screens or any other issues since.
Kinda sad how Lenovo's own drivers are what's breaking their computers... Probably because it looks like most of them haven't been updated since Windows 8.
MattDN93
802.11n
Views: 21,537
Message 87 of 177

That's awesome news turtok! The irony is evident, yeah, but hopefully the issues won't come back for you! Smiley Happy

On my side, I've installed the Anniversary Update and the first cumulative update, I have a WARNING though: if you've chosen to turn OFF automatic driver updates for the Intel Graphics etc BEFORE the Anniversary Update, performing the update will turn them back on and Windows will overwrite your drivers (I noticed my Intel HD Graphics had downgraded...). It's not caused me any black screens or issues yet, but it's just a heads-up
Highlighted
MattDN93
802.11n
Views: 21,458
Message 88 of 177

Hi all,

It's me again - still no problems here so far Smiley Happy I wanted to add that some of us on the Yoga 500 thread that are still experiencing the issue a lot are trying switching user profiles (since doing that I've not had issues so maybe it'll help).

Here's what I did:

WARNING: You may lose programs you've installed that are profile-specific. You'll also lose all Windows Store apps you've installed. You'll have to reinstall them afterwards. I found Office and most of my 3rd party desktop programs stayed though.
WARNING2: Changing ownership on your original user profile folders might corrupt the profile - you might not be able to login to the old profile when done, make a backup if you're not sure.
ASSUMPTION: This assumes your current account is signed in with a Microsoft account and set to sync all your settings via the "Settings > your email and accounts" page

1. From your CURRENT Windows account, go to Settings > Accounts > Family & Other users
2. Create a LOCAL Windows account (NOT a Microsoft account) - this is what you'll use for your new profile.
3. Create ANOTHER LOCAL Windows account called "Copy_Test" or something. This is what you'll use to transfer the data.
4. Set BOTH of the accounts to the "Administrator" role.
5. LOG OUT of your CURRENT Windows account.
6. LOGIN to the "Copy_Test" account you just made, and wait for it to set up
7. Go to C:\Users\<your original username>
8. It'll say you don't have permissions, click to take ownership
9. Also set the Owner of the folder from step 7 to your NEW local account you made in step 2. Do this with the right click > Properties > Security > Advanced > Ownership tab
10. Now select your user folders from your original account - be careful with "AppData" - don't copy the Microsoft Store App preferences as you'll break it in the new profile otherwise.
11. MOVE these folders to your "Copy_Test" account.
12. Once that's done, logout and log in to your NEW account you made in step 2.
13. Go to C:\Users\Copy_Test and take ownership
14. Move all your Pictures/Docs/Music etc. across to your new user folder
15. DELETE your original user profile + its data from step 1.
16. Now you're ready to sign back into your Microsoft account on your new profile.
17. Sign in and you should get all your saved Windows settings and apps back.
18. Use Lenovo Companion to update any drivers and install any programs you lost.

I honestly don't know if that'll work, but it seems to be holding up OK on mine so far. It's worth the shot.

Former Employee
Views: 21,383
Message 89 of 177

In response to customer reports of displays or screens turning off on Lenovo systems while in use and running on battery power, Lenovo has released a solution via update to the Intel Management Engine Firmware, v.11.0.0.1176.

The Intel ME Firmware has been approved for the following models:

• ideapad 300S-14ISK, ideapad 500S-14ISK
  • Lenovo Edge 2-1580
  • Lenovo Flex 3-1480, Flex 3-1580,
  • Yoga 500-14ISK, Yoga 500-15ISK

The Intel ME Firmware can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds105001

If the solution provided by Lenovo does not resolve the issue for you, other customers report that a workaround provided by customer MattDN93 also resolves the issue. More information about the workaround can be found here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Flex-3-screen-turns-off-when-working-on...

An additional workaround that identified this issue as a Windows 10 setting conflict has been reported here by Drfranklin1https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Flex-3-screen-turns-off-when-working-on...

Thank you,

mel_k
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 20,590
Message 90 of 177

I installed the update and still having the same problem!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors