Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drfranklin1
Punch Card
Views: 17,309
Message 131 of 177

Re: Flex 3 screen turns off when working on battery

I will be sending my Lenovo Flex 3 to Louisville, KY (Lenovo's Repair Center) this week - I firmly believe this is a hardware issue. I've utlized all "work-arounds" and completely reset my laptop 3 times. Still have random screen issues - wierd - I can't pinpont a specific reason as to why this is still occurring.

If you purchased this computer at Costco, you can return it within 30 days. I'd recommend doing that instead of dealing with Lenovo Support.

Lastly, this thread/problem has not been "Solved"! (as noted at the top) The Lenovo moderator needs to remove that.

lumkins
Paper Tape
Views: 17,155
Message 132 of 177

Having the same issue-- I have installed every work around mentioned on this forum with no luck. Has anyone who has gone through the hardware repair process had any luck? Would hate to go through all that with it also failing.

drfranklin1
Punch Card
Views: 17,136
Message 133 of 177

I sent my Flex 3 via Fed Ex on 11/4 to the Louisville, KY repair center - I rec'd a message on 11/9 stating:

"2016-11-09 14:21 GREAT NEWS!!! We have successfully repaired your machine! After a final quality check and cleaning we will ship your machine back to you."

then a few hours later:

"2016-11-09 17:03 Machine is shipped out from Lenovo Service Center on 2016-11-09 and in transit to your location. Tracking # %2"

Weird - I did not receive a specific tracking number - only "%2" - I have no idea what that means.

I expect to receive my "repaired" Flex 3 tomorrow or early next week. Honestly, I'm shocked that Lenovo was able to "repair" it - I was expecting a replacement.

Once I receive it, I will update this post.

MattDN93
802.11n
Views: 17,111
Message 134 of 177

The "%2" sounds like a string substitution gone wrong; I think the system was meant to substitute that with your unique number, but I think their replacement was probably a motherboard swap? Who knows? Hope it's a success!
drfranklin1
Punch Card
Views: 17,106
Message 135 of 177

Matt (and everyone following),

I received my "repaired" Flex 3 today - the packing list states,"Parts Used in Repair: N/A"

There is a new "Servicer Test Logs" folder (on my desktop) and I believe the Repair Center ran a 3 min diagnostic test (which was normal) and then shipped the computer out the same day. Very disappointing and an utter waste of time.

Again, I'm nearly convinced this is a hardware issue.

I'm online chatting with Lenovo now...well, after an hour chat session, Lenovo updated the dispay driver and bios - I was told to monitor the computer for the next 24 hours and contact them with any further screen problems...hmm I've done this myself in the past (prior to completely resetting my computer several times)

drfranklin1
Punch Card
Views: 17,059
Message 136 of 177

Update: I've had 2 online chat sessions with Lenovo on Friday (11/11/2016) - the first technician updated my display drivers and BIOS - this did nothing to help my screen issues. Later that day, another technician instructed me to go to the "Novo Button Menu" - then, go to "BIOS Setup" screen and remain there to witness any screen issues. She stated that if I had any screen issues there, this will be considered a hardware issue. Interestingly, on the BIOS Setup screen, I've had no screen issues (but I've only tested this for a couple of hours). I plan to conduct a 24 hour test today. Unfortuately, I'm now concerned that the screen issues *may* be a software conflict (Windows?).

RogerFlex3_1580
Paper Tape
Views: 17,044
Message 137 of 177

Re: Flex 3 screen turns off when working on battery or power

Sir/Ma'am,

Have you all figuired this issue out yet?  I just purchased this Flex 3 within 30 days and have the option to return it but I really like it and don't want to have to return it.  I have a limited time to make this decision so your response is greatly appreciated.  I have tried your "Fix" and it did nothing.  I had Windows log onto my computer and reset my power options which worked for a small time until I received a new update and then it went back to previous settings.  They said, it was an issue with Lenovo's software not allowing the laptop to go into sleep mode but shuts off the screen so you can't see what is on the screen causing the hard restart and thus loosing any work you had on the screen.  This makes the Lenovo a bad option unless they have stepped up to the plate to fixe the issue.

Thanks,

Roger

drfranklin1
Punch Card
Views: 17,033
Message 138 of 177

I believe I have a solution to the Flex 3 screen issues - I will post later tonight.

Essentially, it's a Windows 10 software conflict in the general/advanced power settings.

Highlighted
drfranklin1
Punch Card
Views: 16,991
Message 139 of 177

For Flex 3 owners that have continued screen issues (blank/dark screen with a non-functional keyboard)

There is Windows 10 display software conflict with "Windows Settings/System/Power & Sleep" and "Advanced Power Settings".

Recommended procedure:

• remove all Lenovo software/apps from the Flex 3 (not quite sure if this makes a difference)
  • make sure your Flex 3 is updated (Windows Settings/Update & Security)
  • go to "Windows Settings" --> then, "System" --> then, "Power & Sleep"
  • You cannot set any display preferences here as this will conflict with Windows "Advanced Power [Display] Settings"
  • Click "Additional Power Settings" at bottom
  • Then, click the down arrow attached to "Hide Additional Plans", choose "High Performance", then click "Change Plan Settings"
  • Comment: For some unclear reason, when I've choosen the "Balanced" (plan), this does not populate desired display settings under the main "Power & Sleep" screen
  • DO NOT adjust any display settings on this screen
  • Then, click "Change Advanced Power Settings"
  • First, click on "Display" - enter your desired settings - I chose 3 hours for battery and 8 hours for plugged in
  • Then, go to "Sleep" - "sleep after", "allow hybrid sleep", and "hibernate after" should all be set to off or never
  • I made additional settings to maximize the performance of the Flex 3 (knowing this will affect battery life) - for example, "Link State Power Management" set to off, "Processor Power Management" set to 100%, etc
  • After completion, you must click "Apply" at bottom right
  • After applying, your desired settings should populate under the main "Power & Sleep" screen
  • ALL FUTURE CHANGES TO YOUR DISPLAY SETTINGS MUST ENTERED UNDER "ADVANCED POWER SETTINGS"
  • Restart your Flex 3 and confirm the display settings
ChrisN550
Paper Tape
Views: 16,889
Message 140 of 177

I have the Edge 2, with the same problem. 

Lenovo support updated the bios and intel, still same problem on and off battery.

they told me to drop off at Best Buy service center. 

Did the repair Lenovo did fix your problem? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors