Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lironb
What's DOS?
Views: 12,894
Message 1 of 177

Flex 3 screen turns off when working on battery

Hi.  When I'm working on my Flex 3 on battery only, after about 20 minutes, the screen will "turn off."  I use quotations because the sreen turns black but it is back-lit.  Sound still works.  No buttons get me out of this frozen state and I have to hard restart the computer.

Anybody else have this issue?  Computer is 1 month old.

Thanks!

dkfree1
What's DOS?
Views: 12,745
Message 2 of 177

Re: Flex 3 screen turns off when working on battery

I have exactly the same problem. Works fine when plugged in, but absolutely useless on battery, due to this random "black screen". My screen too is backlit, but the only way I have found to "wake-up" the screen is to reboot the computer. My Flex 3 came from Costco, and I am planning to return it. 

tjr1
Punch Card
Views: 12,636
Message 3 of 177

I'm experiencing the exact same concern. My Flex 3 experiences a black screen (though still lit) after 15-20 minutes of running on battery. Battery level doesn't seem to make a difference. I, too, purchased my Flex 3 at Costco.

tejaram
Paper Tape
Views: 12,532
Message 4 of 177

I am facing the exact issue, and got it from Costco. I think these laptops from Costco are having some problems. Thinking  to return it.

martin_nv
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,502
Message 5 of 177

I also have this problem. I bought mine from the Microsoft store. In case any Lenovo techs are reading this, here is some further info on the problem:

-Freezing occurs only on battery. When plugged in it works fine.

-Freezing occurs after 5-60 minutes of use.

-Ctl-Alt-Delete does not work

-Fn-F9 (backlight on/off?) and Fn-Space (keyboard illumination) still works

-I tried pinging the unit when frozen and it does not respond. It does respond when it is running.

I will try to open a support ticket, but the Lenovo website makes this very difficult.

Martin

bhovan
Punch Card
Views: 12,432
Message 6 of 177

I have the exactly same issue. My laptop is 3 months old and i bought it from lenovo site. For me the problem occurs both on battery and off battery.

Former Employee
Views: 12,368
Message 7 of 177

I'm investigating customer reports of the display turning off or blanking while in use when on battery power.

While all of these devices were reported as Flex 3, it would help to know exactly which model this is occuring on.

I have arranged to bring in a Flex 3-1480 customer sample and will provide more information once it arrives.

Thank you,

martin_nv
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,356
Message 8 of 177

I should note that my problem has been fixed, for now. I got on a call with a Lenovo technician who remoted into my computer. I didn't catch everything he did, but here are some my notes:

USB Selective Suspend --> Enabled
Enable adaptive brightness: off
Extended battery life for gaming: off
Install intel energy management driver
Install Batterygauge
emdriver
Flight mode driver
BIOS update: d3cn28ww.exe

The model number of my Flex 3 1480 is R9N0B5B07005.

Martin

bhovan
Punch Card
Views: 12,352
Message 9 of 177

Just wait untill the next windows update.

tjr1
Punch Card
Views: 12,313
Message 10 of 177

Amy, thanks for looking into this issue. My device is a Flex 3-1480 (80R3).

I chatted with tech support, who took control remotely and made some minor adjustments to display and power settings. Nothing big was discovered here.

I followed up by re-updating BIOS (which appeared to have been up to date already, but I decided to reinstall it anyway). I also updated all drivers (display, audio, batteries, firmware, processors, etc.) manually from the manufacturer's websites as opposed to Windows' auto search or Lenovo's page. 

This appears to have fixed my issue, as I haven't experienced the blank screen in several weeks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors