Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thadhouse
What's DOS?
Views: 2,109
Message 1 of 3

Flex 4-1480 Incredibly slow hard drive speed after Windows 10 Creators Update

I have 8 Flex 4-1480s, and all of them are showing the same issue. Before the Windows 10 creators update, they were all great. However, after the upgrade to creators, and then confirmed again after fall creators, the SSD speeds have tanked. I have verified this through both hard drive speed tests, and specific applications are orders of magintude slower then other systems with similar specs. The easiest test for this is to download the latest Arduino IDE from the windows store, and compile an empty project. On a fully working system, this should take less then 10 seconds. However, on these systems specifically, this takes about 4 minutes. I can observe the same thing compiling a simple C++ program using Microsoft Visual Studio. I tried contacting support, and the only suggestion from them was to perform a refresh, which we have attempted multiple times, and this does not help.

Has anyone else seen this issue, or have a suggested fix? Tried reinstalling from fresh, checking all the page file settings, making sure the hard drive does not shut off, and many other things. During this whole time, task manager shows disk usage as 0.1%, and I've never actually seen it go above that number in all my testing.

ElectronPlumber
What's DOS?
Views: 1,902
Message 2 of 3

Re: Flex 4-1480 Incredibly slow hard drive speed after Windows 10 Creators Update

I have been having a similar problem, although I can't pinpoint when it started. It might have been after one of the Win10 updates, or it could have been something else. But I have the same symptom. I've tried just about everything I've read on the Arduino forums to fix it, and no luck there. So I bought a new hard drive and installed Win10 Creator's Edition from scratch. Before I installed ANYTHING else, I loaded Arduino 1.8.5 and had exactly the same problem! I ran performance tests, and everything looked good. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. If you compile in verbose mode, you can see that the avr-gcc commands are taking a very long time...

Highlighted
Markh115
What's DOS?
Views: 1,465
Message 3 of 3

Re: Flex 4-1480 Incredibly slow hard drive speed after Windows 10 Creators Update

I have the 1470 and noticed the same thing.  I fixed it by disabling the power saving mode on the HD in the Intel Rapid storage technology.  Whatever that was doing was causing the hard drive to run in a very degraded state.

1. Click the ^ in the system tray by the clock

2. Right click on the Intel Rapid Storage Technology icon

3. Click the Performance tab

4. Click disable next to Link Power Management: 

Hope that helps.

-Mark

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors