Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FlashGordo
Paper Tape
Views: 806
Message 1 of 3

Flex 5 (1570) harddrive issues

In Aug. 2017 I bought a new Flex 5 from Office Depot.

It sits on an end table next to my chair and is plugged into ac adapter all day. I use it on my lap for web browsing, and some open office spreadsheets. It does not ever get bounced around.

3 weeks after purchase, I come out in morning to find PC will not accept any input. Power on cycle ends up with PC going into diagnosis and repair, which it fails to do. After that it would never go past the initial screen. Office Depot said bad harddrive and gave another Flex 5.

The 2nd Flex 5 ran for 3 weeks, and then it also failed. This time the PC got extremely slow, and after power on cycle, it to tried to recover but failed. However, this time it did go far enough to let me get tothe advanced troubleshooting. CHKDSK /F corrected errors on both the C: and D: partitions. The X: partition had errors too, but the partition is write protected and could not be fixed. I was able to use xcopy to retrieve all of my data from C drive to a flash drive. 

The harddrive seemed to work fine, but it failed trying to do a RESET with save data, and a full RESET. It seemed to be due to the X: errors. Once again Office Depot decided to give me a new Flex 5.

My current Flex 5 has been running fine since early November, until it started running slower on Monday night, and Tuesday morning it quit. Once again it goes into diagnostics mode, then repair mode, and then says repair failed.  CHKDSK found and corrected errors on the C :. The D: had no errors. The X: does not display errors either. Once again I can view all my data on C:

I have tried twice to do a  RESET, not saving any data. The first time it got to 9% complete before it aborted. It then states it is backing out the changes. The second time it made it to 30% complete, but then aborted and it backed out the changes.

I created a RESTORE USB drive when I brought this PC home, but I am not sure how to use it. I configured bios to allow boot from USB, but I am not sure it is really booting from the USB drive.

All the PCs have had the full McAfee Anti-Virus running all the time, and full scans weekly. No viruses have ever been detected.

Can anyone help me recover this Flex 5? 3 HD failures, on 3 new machines, all within a few weeks is insane. I would be willing to buy a new HD, if I can figure out how to get the preload back on a different drive.

FlashGordo
Paper Tape
Views: 776
Message 2 of 3

Re: Flex 5 (1570) harddrive issues

Update: 

I figured out how to reload from the USB recovery drive, and that was successful. Unfotunately it took me back to Out of Box Eperience, so I am back to reloading my software and data.

So my HD is working again, but it has already failed once with errors CHKDSK corrected, and since it happened with the other 2 PCs, I expect it will probably fail again.

So now my question is,

What is the best way to go about putting a new HD in this PC? How can I get this preload on to a new HD?

FlashGordo
Paper Tape
Views: 736
Message 3 of 3

Re: Flex 5 (1570) harddrive issues

Well,,,,,,, that lasted for exactly 2 days. Woke up to find the Flex 5 could not be woken from sleep mode. Once again, CHKDSK /f found and tried to fix errors. I tried 4 times to recover using internal hard drive utilities. Finally resorted to using USB recovery drive to reimage back to OOBE.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors