Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HugMeTender
Paper Tape
Views: 1,716
Message 1 of 6

Flex 5-1570 installing windows to m.2

So I have the Flex 5-1570 and the Samsung 960 (256gb). I can easily see the drive in the BIOS, and even in windows (installed on my HDD). However when I go to install Windows to the m.2 drive, it does not show up in the list of drives. Is it even possible to boot to the m.2 drive?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,682
Message 2 of 6

Re: Flex 5-1570 installing windows to m.2

@HugMeTender wrote:

I can see the drive in the BIOS, and even in windows (installed on my HDD). However when I go to install Windows to the m.2 drive, it does not show up in the list of drives.

I suspect that your laptop is operating in UEFI mode, but the SSD has an MBR partition table. You need to convert the SSD partition table to GPT. Then it will allow installation in UEFI mode.  If you have a working Windows on the HDD, boot that and do the following:

(1) In Windows "Disk Management", delete all of the partitions on the SSD (if any).

(2) Right click the box at the left end of the horizontal bar representing the disk. The Context menu appears.

(3) The "Context" menu should have "Convert to GPT" as an option, so click that. Conversion takes only a few seconds.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

HugMeTender
Paper Tape
Views: 1,672
Message 3 of 6

I just tried that. Unfortunately it still does not show in the list when trying to install windows.

I can use the drive just fine if I create a simple volume. The bios options even lists the disk when I look at boot order (thus I assume it is possible).
HugMeTender
Paper Tape
Views: 1,666
Message 4 of 6

Here's a screen of what I see.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,655
Message 5 of 6

@HugMeTender wrote:
I just tried that. Unfortunately it still does not show in the list when trying to install windows.

Thanks for posting the screen shot.  The SSD has the correct partition table (GPT), so I am not exactly sure what is wrong.  Some possibilities:

(1) Does your BIOS have a "Disk adapter" or "SATA Operating Mode" setting?  (I am not sure of the exact name.)  To boot the SSD in Windows, this has to be set to "AHCI".  Note: if you change this setting to "AHCI" to test, you won't be able to boot Windows on the HDD (you need to change it back to the original setting to boot the HDD).

(2) The problem may be that the SSD has a partition on it that occupies the entire disk.  Did you try installing Windows when the disk had no partitions?  It may be worth deleting the partitions on the SSD and trying again.

(3) If either of the above results in a successful installation to the SSD, be aware that the system will still start booting from the HDD, because that is where the UEFI partition is (you will end up with a dual boot system).  I would recommend disconnecting or removing the HDD before installing on the SSD.  In that way, Windows will create the UEFI (and other) partitions on the SSD.  This will maximise speed of booting (it does not need to access the HDD), and will also allow you to remove the HDD in the future, and replace it with something else (e.g. a larger HDD or a SATA SSD).  If the UEFI partition remains on the HDD, removing the HDD will stop the laptop booting.

So in summary:

- Delete the existing partitions on the SSD.

- Disconnect the HDD.

- Change the "Disk Adapter" to "AHCI".

- Install Windows on the SSD.

- Reconnect the HDD and delete all of its partitions.

- Repartition the HDD as desired.

If this still does not work, I don't know what the solution might be.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

HugMeTender
Paper Tape
Views: 1,651
Message 6 of 6

Switching to AHCI worked!!! I'm always very timid to change BIOS settings which I know nothing about so I only changed things like "Secure Boot" and whatnot. 

Having a SSD in my desktop and then trying to use my laptop with only a HDD was such a noticable step down in speed so I was very desperate to get a SSD working while not having to shell out for a 1TB 2.5 SSD (I already had the Samsung which is why I really wanted it to work) You've made my year, haha. Thank you so much!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors