cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stencil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,456
Message 1 of 4

Flex 5 - How to boot from USB. System doesn't have any USB boot option.

Hello,

I have a Lenovo Flex 5 with Windows 10 Preinstalled. 

When I try booting from a USB drive and get the following error: System doesn't have any USB boot option. Please select other boot option in boot manager menu. I followed some advice found in forums and disabled secure boot. That did not help. I also tried to enable legacy boot option but that option does not exist in the bios. The bios is InsydeH20 Rev 5.0 and the boot mode is UEFI which is not clickable or changeable.

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 ini file on the USB drive. I reformatted the USB drive to Fat32 before copying the ini file to it using these instructions: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200124(v=ws.11).aspx

What am I doing wrong? What am I missing?

Thanks!

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

jplewis01
Paper Tape
Views: 1,387
Message 2 of 4

Re: Flex 5 - How to boot from USB. System doesn't have any USB boot option.

I had this very question earlier today and saw reference by several people to the elusive Novo button. I could not find such a button on my Flex 5 [model Name 81CA]. That was, until I noticed the tiny hole just beside the power button on the right hand side of the laptop. What I found was that a small paper clip inserted into the hole presses the Novo Button. So with the button pressed in and you turn the power on, Viola, the boot menu appears. Any USB Bootable drive will then populate in the boot menu (option 3). Hope this helps!

Phil

jplewis01
Paper Tape
Views: 1,240
Message 3 of 4

This applies to an 81CA Flex5 51670 Idaepad. It may well apply to other models, I don't know which, just what applies to my model...
On the right hand side beside the power button is a tiny hole. Power off your laptop. Insert the end of a bent paperclip into the hole gently depressing a small switch inside. Power on and hold the button in for a second or three. Release it, shortly thereafter you'll see a boot menu... Viola, Problem solved.! ;-)

Phil

Muddy0
What's DOS?
Views: 1,225
Message 4 of 4

When you have disabled the "safe boot" restart the computer and press F12 for computers or F2 or F8 for laptops (you may have to press the key as soon as the computer starts up, then you will be given a new screen with a list of choices choose regular USB option. 

You should then see a message "Press any key to to boot from USB"  Then the computer should start from the USB drive.

Hope this assists.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors