Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blueeyedbeast2
What's DOS?
Views: 634
Message 1 of 5

Flex2 Recovery Disk

I have puchased a Flex2 and have been mostly impressed.  My concern is that, while attempting to follow the instructions, I am unable to create a "recovery disk" for this unit.  I have worked with various vendors (Dell & HP primarily) and each have had a simple recover program that allows the creation of removable recovery media and the Lenovo's package does not seem to allow for the creation of an removable device.  My concern is that I purchased this unit for my daughter. I want to be able to have a thumb drive "just in case" so that I can either reload the unit or - if required - I can replace the drive. So far - no luck.  How am I supposed to create this removable image?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 622
Message 2 of 5

Re: Flex2 Recovery Disk

Page 30-31 of the user's guide provides information on how to backup and make a system image and how to restore. It does not provide the info on how to restore or transfer the OS in case you change the drive. Perhaps you can call Lenovo and inquire about it.

blueeyedbeast2
What's DOS?
Views: 616
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply but....  When purchasing the unit I asked the salesman and was told "Just buy a 16gb thumb drive and it will all fit".  Well a 22gb partition doesn't fit on 16gb drive (did go complain to the store manager but got the old "You should have done more research" which almost got him a computer back).  So I checked things and found a 32gb should be be enough but no luck - trying to follow the backup instructions and get an error saying "Can't back up to the device specified".  I did a reformat on the drive to make sure it was usable and and still no luck.  So either I need a larger drive or something else.  Thanks also for the suggestion of contacting Lenovo support.  Had kind of hoped that they might track their forum (like HP & Acer) which is why I had posted the message.

cityman62
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 601
Message 4 of 5

Hi,I went down the route of using a reduntant laptop internal HDD and sticking it in a caddy,easier still an external DVD ROM drive via Amazon etc-costs 15 squid or so,if you want to burn a recovery image.If you use a 32 GB pen drive,I guess you need to format it to nfst and its all allocated to the recovery image,best,Andy
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 592
Message 5 of 5

@blueeyedbeast2 wrote:

Thanks for the reply but....  When purchasing the unit I asked the salesman and was told "Just buy a 16gb thumb drive and it will all fit".  Well a 22gb partition doesn't fit on 16gb drive (did go complain to the store manager but got the old "You should have done more research" which almost got him a computer back).  So I checked things and found a 32gb should be be enough but no luck - trying to follow the backup instructions and get an error saying "Can't back up to the device specified".  I did a reformat on the drive to make sure it was usable and and still no luck.  So either I need a larger drive or something else.  Thanks also for the suggestion of contacting Lenovo support.  Had kind of hoped that they might track their forum (like HP & Acer) which is why I had posted the message.

16 GB is enough if you have not or installed only a few programs. If you perform the backup a little bit later when you have installed so many programs then 32 GB or more will be needed.

Do note that the backup image does not contain the OKR program needed to restore them when changing a new hdd/ssd. In other words, those backup image are user created backup data only.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors