Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
razorpig
Fanfold Paper
Views: 795
Message 1 of 6

HD to SSD issues

Hi, I recently tried to upgrade my 1TB HD to a 500GB SSD but I've run in to a few problems. I used the free AOMEI Backupper software to first create an image of the 1TB disk. I then restored this image to the SSD which seemed to go OK, but after swapping out the disks the SSD wouldn't boot.

"Default Boot Device missing or Boot Failed. Insert Recovery Media and hit any key. Then select 'Boot Manager' to choose a new boot device or to Boot Recovery Media"

I don't have any Recovery Media so I'm not sure what to do next. When I examined the two drives in Disk Management I noticed the SSD is missing a 1000MB OEM partition ( see attachment ). I'm not sure why this partition was omitted from the disk imaging process - any ideas? And could this be the source of the problem?

NOTE : I used the Disk Backup ( to an image file ) method rather than the Disk Clone utility of AOEMI because I want to use this method as a backup strategy, so needed to check it would work. Would Disk Cloning be a better choice for the HD to SSD migration?

Hope someone can help.

Many Thanks

Mark

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 762
Message 2 of 6

Re: HD to SSD issues

@razorpig wrote:

I don't have any Recovery Media

Boot Windows from the HDD, go to "Settings", and create the "Windows Recovery Drive".  You will need a 16GB (or larger) USB memory stick.  You can boot from this memory stick to try to repair a Windows installation, or to re-install Windows completely.

The "Windows Recovery Drive" includes the Lenovo drivers plus Lenovo applications that were pre-loaded on your system.  You could instead download a Windows install image from Microsoft (about 4GB when I tried this), and that will also install and activate.  But it does not include the Lenovo drivers or Lenovo applications.  You may prefer this, as it gives a "clean" install that some users find gives better performance on certain models of Lenovo laptop.

Having created the Windows Recovery Drive, I would then forget about trying to use disk imaging programs to copy your HDD to the SSD, and instead perform a fresh install of Windows on the SSD (using either the Windows Recovery Drive, or the Windows image downloaded from Microsoft):

(1) Disconnect the HDD before starting the install.  This will ensure that a new EFI partition is created on the SSD.  If you don't do this, the install will use the EFI partiton on the HDD.

(2) Ensure that the SSD is empty (no partitions).

(3) Install Windows.

(4) Reconnect the HDD.

(5) With the system powered off, use the "Novo" button to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the SSD is first.

(6) Boot Windows and delete whatever partitions you no longer want on the HDD.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Highlighted
razorpig
Fanfold Paper
Views: 756
Message 3 of 6

Hi CyberSimian,

I don't see an option to create a Windows Recovery Drive in Settings. Where do I find this?

Also, if possible, I'd prefer to clone my existing drive rather than doing a clean install as I have a lot of software installed.

With the new SSD installed I've also tried disabling fast boot and secure boot in the BIOS and then pressing Fn + F2 on bootup, but the SSD doesn't show up as bootable device.

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 728
Message 4 of 6

i replaced the 1tb hdd in my z70-80 with a 512gb ssd. personally, i think the best thing to do is download the windows media creation tool and burn the dvd. i used belarc advisor to get a list of all my software, then swapped out the hdd for the ssd. use the dvd to reinstall windows and then download and install all my software and games.

true, it takes time to reinstall everything but, to be honest, it took less time to do that than this post's age.

"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe
CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 721
Message 5 of 6

@razorpig wrote:

I don't see an option to create a Windows Recovery Drive in Settings. Where do I find this?

Hmm, it seems to have disappeared from "Settings" in more-recent versions of Windows 10.  However, the facility is still present -- type create recovery drive into the search box, and select the relevant entry.

I can understand your reluctance to re-install Windows from scratch, but simply copying the partititions seems to have problems associated with it.  Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice, as the first thing that I did when I got my Lenovo was to convert from UEFI (GPT partition table) to legacy (MBR partition table).  There are no problems copying MBR partitions containing operating systems.

Perhaps others who have used the copying method with UEFI know what the problem is?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

razorpig
Fanfold Paper
Views: 717
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated. I think you're right about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 - probably much easier !

I gave up on AOMEI Backupper. Tried with Macrium Reflect - copied all partitions but this time it booted to the OneKey Recovery Screen. I couldn't get it to boot to Windows but at least had the option to do a clean install from here. I'm now trying with the Acronis Software recommended by Crucial ( I have a Crucial SSD ) - cloning currently in progress. Let's see what happens !

Will provide update later...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors