Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
camcneil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,334
Message 1 of 6

HID-compliant touch screen device missing after SSD upgrade

I have a Flex 3 1120 that had a catastrophic HD failure.  I upgraded to a 500 GB SSD but chose not to clone the old drive. Instead I opted for fresh install of Windows 10 Home from USB.  I installed as many drivers as needed (copied from the Lenovo partition).  The computer is running fine except there is no HID-compliant touch screen device in Device Manager any  Therefore, the touch screen no longer works. I'm out of warranty and cannot find an appropriate driver to enable this much needed feature again.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thanks! 

Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 1,248
Message 2 of 6

Re: HID-compliant touch screen device missing after SSD upgrade

Hi camcneil,

Have you installed the Chipset drivers for the system? Also try to reset default settings of the BIOS.

Cheers,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudos!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
camcneil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,228
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for the reply.  I proceeded to download every driver and app from Lenovo support site for my machine.  I've installed each.  A new HID-compliant device was added to Device Manager but it was for a wireless radio control.  I have not yet tried resetting BIOS to default, since I had not made BIOS settings changes.  I can't imagine I could have unplugged something by accident when replacing the drive...  It was such a simple upgrade!  I've heard about a Microsoft command-line tool called devcon.exe.  I downloaded and asked it to list all hardware ids.  Of course there were no touch screen devices and the only HID item was the wireless radio control.  I'm stumped...

camcneil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,218
Message 4 of 6

I've corrected this issue but not with any support website drivers.  I decided to attempt a clone of my original WD Blue 500 GB HDD.  Even though it was throwing catastrophic drive errors while booted up in Windows, I was able to use the free Macrium Reflect software to clone all partitions (except the C:\ Windows partition) to the new SSD.  The C:\ partition failed to clone but I was able to create an image file of this failing partition that I used to restore on the now-empty C:\ partition of the new 500 GB SSD.  I then booted from the new SSD and touch screen is now enabled and working as expected (as well as all other Windows features).  I would have preferred to find a better way to enable this hardware feature using Lenovo drivers from the support site, but the site does not appear to be complete for my out-of-warranty hardware.  Luckily, the drive had enough life to be imaged.

Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 1,188
Message 5 of 6

Hi, 

Im glad to hear you were able to fix the issue. I would recommend that you try to get a copy of the system's recovery image from Lenovo, just in case windows have any issue. In that case you can just re-image every without any issues. 

Cheers,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudos!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
grythith
What's DOS?
Views: 1,049
Message 6 of 6

Sorry to necro a thread, hoping this will help someone out there!

You need to download and install the gpio drivers, of which i do not see a windows 10 version, but the win8.1 seem to work fine.

here

Top Kudoed Authors