Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tecogy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,741
Message 1 of 13

Hinges problem on Lenovo 100-15IBY

I import Lenovo Laptop and during the last 2 weeks I had two compaints from clients that they cant close their laptop since their is something broken.  When I remove the from front bazel of the display I found out that the hinges were broken and in consequence the back cover was also broken from the screws and funnily enough always the righthinge. The Model is lenovo 100-15IBY. These two laptops are still under warranty and I have to pay for the parts (around Eur 68 ) since I cant claim them. Now I am seriously considering to stop importing lenovo Laptops. Lenovo must improve their quality for sure.

Sonal1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,407
Message 2 of 13

Re: Hinges problem on Lenovo 100-15IBY

I have the same problem too but mine is not broken it just makes a popping\cracking noise. But I need help on this ASAP!!

tecogy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,404
Message 3 of 13

Did you remove the front cover? Cause usually it will break from the inside and eventually breaking the back cover

Sonal1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,397
Message 4 of 13

No I didn't do anything except for using it daily

MrPlodski
Paper Tape
Views: 1,034
Message 5 of 13

Is there any more info on this problem. My right hinge has given up and I've also noticed cracks in the case lid on the back left hand side. So, that will give way aswell soon.

I just out of warranty too!

gibbogle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,022
Message 6 of 13

I had the same problem on an HP laptop.  My fix was crude but effective.  Opening up the cracks with a sharp knife, I pushed in lots of a very strong 2-pot epoxy resin.  I also used epoxy to glue a piece of steel strip (about 1mm thick) over the cracks.  This has made the case at that point very strong.  So far this treatment has been needed only on one side.  It doesn't look pretty, but it keeps the computer on the road.

Remembers DOS
MrPlodski
Paper Tape
Views: 1,002
Message 7 of 13

Hi, Thanks for replying.

I think that I will have to use a short thin bolt on the corner [see pics] and your epoxy idea on the other parts. Then loosen / free off the hinges so that they don't put too much strain on their mounting points.

I'm just major disappointed that this laptop has suffered such a major failure 3 weeks after the warranty expired. Maybe, I should have checked for cracks earlier, but it's not something that I was expecting.

Regards from the UKLenovoCase[02].jpgTop LeftLenovoCase[03].jpgRight Hand CornerLenovoCase[04].jpgRight Hand Edge (shows lid bend)LenovoCase[06].jpgLeft Corner, shown from rearLenovoCase[07].jpgRight Hinge shown fron Top.

tecogy
Paper Tape
Views: 995
Message 8 of 13

Its the same story I had with some of my clients laptops who purchased this model. I spend some Eur 120 expenses on each laptop to buy the hindge and the back cover of the laptop and they don't even answer the any post. Unbelievable and disappointed

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 969
Message 9 of 13

Cheap laptops hinges are really bad. Treat them with care, or they do break. Had similar issues with HP notebooks. Problem is they install screw nuts into plastic molds and the stress of opening and closing pulls them out. Personally I think plastics have become thinner and weaker which is causing a lot of this. Years ago we had similar designs for hinges but plastics were thicker and sturdier. 

MrPlodski
Paper Tape
Views: 963
Message 10 of 13

Hi Jonny

You are absolutely correct. But, with my lappy the hinges have not broken, they have tightened up (gone stiff). So, the lid moves but the hinges don't and they have forced their way through the thin plastic.

Lenovo CS have said that this is CID 'Customer Induced Damage'. I am extremely annoyed!

They wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

I 'm really sorry about the issue at hand.

Since there are no known faults corresponding with the issue described by the photograph, in regard to the model of your device, we wouldn't be able to treat this case alternatively, as the product's basic warranty doesn't extend to cosmetic damage.

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Aristotelis

This guy is obviously not familiar with UK consumer legistration. Cosmetic damage, my arse, this is poor quality manufacture.

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors