cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abhijeet715
Paper Tape
Views: 2,707
Message 1 of 3

Hosted Network Support for Ideapad Series (310, etc)

Hello everybody, I am posting here as Google didnt give me any appropriate answers for my issue, not is there any sort of solution available in the forums or anywhere else. 

The issue here is that Windows 10 recently introduced an option to share you internet connection to other devices by enabling an option called as "Mobile Hotspot". The issue here is that Lenovo has disabled the option to "Create a wifi hotspot using the command prompt, the hosted network method" due to this Mobile Hotspot feature of Windows 10. (I dont have any clue why this was disabled).

Now what is useless in this Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot feature is that I can only create the hotspot if I am connected to some sort of existing cellular or wireless network, else I can't (yes, Microsoft screws it up every single time and I dont know why). The problem is that if i want to create a wireless hotspot for sharing some files, or to play games in LAN, I cannot do so using the Mobile Hotspot Option in Windows 10.

I really want to request the Software Development Team of Lenovo to address this issue and enable support for Hosted Networks by providing an update to the drivers. I know it is possible to do so, but it requires an update to the Wireless Driver, and this can only be done by Lenovo. I read in meny websites that rolling back the driver will help, etc but none of them work, trust me I have tried every single method to get Hosted Network support working.

I really hope someone from Lenovo addresses this issue and fixes it ASAP!!

abhijeet715
Paper Tape
Views: 2,661
Message 2 of 3

Re: Hosted Network Support for Ideapad Series (310, etc)

I know I wont get any reply either from Lenovo or Microsoft, so I managed to get a solution myself. If you recall, there is a folder with the stock drivers in Ideapad device you purchased. In that, there are stock drivers for your device, even for older version of windows. All you have to do is open Device Manager, go to Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter under Network Adapters, right click > Properties > Drivers Tab > Update Driver. Here, select the "Browse my computer for device software". Over there, select "Let me pick up from a list of drivers available in my computer". After that, click "Have Disk", navigate to this folder of stock drivers. In that folder, you will find a folder named "Wlan". In that, open the "Driver Only" folder, in that, open the "Win8.1" folder, select "win32" or "x64" according to the architecture of your device (win32 is 32-bit devices and x64 is 64-bit devices). Inside there, you will find a file named "netathrx.inf". Select that, and then click next and wait for the driver to install. Once done installing, disable and enable the Qualcomm Atheros device and you are good to go. Open command prompt with ADMINISTRSATOR rights and type "netsh wlan show driver". If it says "Hosted network support: Yes", you have succeeded and now can create a wifi hotspot using hosted network. Only drawback is that you are on an older version of the WLAN driver but it doesnt have any bugs or problems so it doesnt matter, atleast you will be getting hosted network support until Lenovo provides an update for the same.
Ferdoush_Samim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,203
Message 3 of 3

Re: Hosted Network Support for Ideapad Series (310, etc)

I have not any win8 folder. Could you please upload that file and give me the link???

Mod's Comment:  Please share the download link using Private Messaging

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors