cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
marko7
Punch Card
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎02-10-2017
Location: HR
Views: 3,931
Message 1 of 10

How to do a clean Windows 10 install on M.2 SSD on Ideapad 700-15ISK?

I am seriously considering buying the Ideapad 700-15ISK laptop, specifically one that comes without Windows pre-installed (with FreeDOS) and also without SSD pre-installed (just a 1TB HDD). After buying the laptop, I then plan to add a M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (most likely a Samsung 960 Evo 250GB).

 

What would I need to do to successfully install Windows 10 (clean) to that new SSD and then format the HDD (remove FreeDOS) for use as a data storage drive? What do I need to pay attention to or make sure in the process?

 

Thank you in advance for assistance.

Bit_0
Punch Card
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎08-18-2015
Location: US
Views: 3,870
Message 2 of 10

Re: How to do a clean Windows 10 install on M.2 SSD on Ideapad 700-15ISK?

Create bootable media (Freferrably USB flash drive). Remove the HDD. Install M.2. Comfirm BIOS recognizes it and configure it to be first boot in priority. Install OS of choice. Run system update from Lenovo.

Install HDD and move all libraries to that location (movies, docs, pix, tunes, etc.).

That's how I would do this.

 

Edit: One can format the HDD within windows... probably would have to diskpart as explorer may not see the drive.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Posts: 745
Registered: ‎07-10-2016
Location: GB
Views: 3,808
Message 3 of 10

Re: How to do a clean Windows 10 install on M.2 SSD on Ideapad 700-15ISK?


@marko7 wrote:

What would I need to do to successfully install Windows 10 (clean) to that new SSD and then format the HDD (remove FreeDOS) for use as a data storage drive? What do I need to pay attention to or make sure in the process?


I have never used FreeDos, but I would guess that FreeDos requires the BIOS to be set to "Legacy Support", with the HDD partitioned as MBR (Master Boot Record).  It should be possible to install Windows to the SSD in this way (the SSD needs to be MBR too, of course; use DISKPART to set the SSD to MBR).

 

The alternative is to install Windows to use UEFI mode with the SSD partitioned as GPT.  This allows you to enable "Secure Boot".  You will need to decide whether secure boot is important for you.

 

Once Windows is installed, you cannot easily switch from "legacy with MBR" to "UEFI with GPT" (or vice versa).  It can be done, but it is error prone.  So it is best to decide between MBR or GPT before you install Windows.

 

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

marko7
Punch Card
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎02-10-2017
Location: HR
Views: 3,801
Message 4 of 10

Re: How to do a clean Windows 10 install on M.2 SSD on Ideapad 700-15ISK?

@CyberSimian wrote:

I have never used FreeDos, but I would guess that FreeDos requires the BIOS to be set to "Legacy Support", with the HDD partitioned as MBR (Master Boot Record).  It should be possible to install Windows to the SSD in this way (the SSD needs to be MBR too, of course; use DISKPART to set the SSD to MBR).

 

The alternative is to install Windows to use UEFI mode with the SSD partitioned as GPT.  This allows you to enable "Secure Boot".  You will need to decide whether secure boot is important for you.

 

Once Windows is installed, you cannot easily switch from "legacy with MBR" to "UEFI with GPT" (or vice versa).  It can be done, but it is error prone.  So it is best to decide between MBR or GPT before you install Windows.

 

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

OK, thank you. But how do I format the SSD to GPT (if I only have FreeDOS)? Do I run DISKPART from within Windows 10 setup wizard?

 

@Bit_0 wrote:

Create bootable media (Freferrably USB flash drive). Remove the HDD. Install M.2. Comfirm BIOS recognizes it and configure it to be first boot in priority. Install OS of choice. Run system update from Lenovo.

Install HDD and move all libraries to that location (movies, docs, pix, tunes, etc.).

That's how I would do this.

OK, thanks. Is there a specific reason to remove the HDD before installing Windows?

 

Also: What if BIOS does not recognize the SSD, or if Windows setup says it cannot install Windows to the SSD?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Posts: 745
Registered: ‎07-10-2016
Location: GB
Views: 3,787
Message 5 of 10

Re: How to do a clean Windows 10 install on M.2 SSD on Ideapad 700-15ISK?


@marko7 wrote:
OK, thank you. But how do I format the SSD to GPT (if I only have FreeDOS)? Do I run DISKPART from within Windows 10 setup wizard?

Within the Windows 10 install, there should be an option to start a command-line window.  Do that and use the DISKPART command from there.  Changing the disk from MBR to GPT deletes all of the existing partitions on the disk, so be sure that you are changing the SSD and not the HDD (unless you want to delete everything on the HDD).

 


@marko7 wrote:
What if BIOS does not recognize the SSD, or if Windows setup says it cannot install Windows to the SSD?

 If you buy one of the SSD models listed in the "Hardware Maintenance Manual", the BIOS will recognise the SSD.  If you buy some other model, the BIOS might not recognise the SSD, and the SSD will be unusable in the 700.

 

Windows 10 has NVMe/SATA drivers built-in, so there should not be a problem with Windows installing on the SSD.  Note that Windows 7 does not have these drivers built-in, so is more difficult to install on an M.2 NVMe SSD.

 

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

marko7
Punch Card
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎02-10-2017
Location: HR
Views: 3,773
Message 6 of 10

Re: How to do a clean Windows 10 install on M.2 SSD on Ideapad 700-15ISK?


@CyberSimian wrote:

@marko7 wrote:
OK, thank you. But how do I format the SSD to GPT (if I only have FreeDOS)? Do I run DISKPART from within Windows 10 setup wizard?

Within the Windows 10 install, there should be an option to start a command-line window.  Do that and use the DISKPART command from there.  Changing the disk from MBR to GPT deletes all of the existing partitions on the disk, so be sure that you are changing the SSD and not the HDD (unless you want to delete everything on the HDD).

 


@marko7 wrote:
What if BIOS does not recognize the SSD, or if Windows setup says it cannot install Windows to the SSD?

 If you buy one of the SSD models listed in the "Hardware Maintenance Manual", the BIOS will recognise the SSD.  If you buy some other model, the BIOS might not recognise the SSD, and the SSD will be unusable in the 700.

 

Windows 10 has NVMe/SATA drivers built-in, so there should not be a problem with Windows installing on the SSD.  Note that Windows 7 does not have these drivers built-in, so is more difficult to install on an M.2 NVMe SSD.

 

-- from CyberSimian in the UK


OK, thank you. A final question: do you (or does someone else) know whether the SSD I mentioned (Samsung 960 Evo 250GB) is compatible and will work with the 700-15ISK laptop? Or maybe Samsung SM961 256GB, which also looks interesting?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Posts: 745
Registered: ‎07-10-2016
Location: GB
Views: 3,765
Message 7 of 10

Re: How to do a clean Windows 10 install on M.2 SSD on Ideapad 700-15ISK?


@marko7 wrote:
OK, thank you. A final question: do you (or does someone else) know whether the SSD I mentioned (Samsung 960 Evo 250GB) is compatible and will work with the 700-15ISK laptop? Or maybe Samsung SM961 256GB, which also looks interesting?

I don't have any information about using that model of SSD in the 700.  There have been various other threads about using M.2 SSD disks in the 700, so review those to see if anyone has posted about the Samsung 960 (or other models that you might be considering).

 

I believe that the most-recent BIOS now supports more SSD models, so the list in the "Hardware Maintenance Manual" is a bit out of date.  (All of the models listed there will still work, but some others not listed will also work.)

 

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

 

marko7
Punch Card
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎02-10-2017
Location: HR
Views: 3,671
Message 8 of 10

Re: How to do a clean Windows 10 install on M.2 SSD on Ideapad 700-15ISK?


@CyberSimian wrote:

 

I believe that the most-recent BIOS now supports more SSD models, so the list in the "Hardware Maintenance Manual" is a bit out of date.  (All of the models listed there will still work, but some others not listed will also work.)


But how do I update the BIOS if I don't have Windows installed?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Posts: 745
Registered: ‎07-10-2016
Location: GB
Views: 3,663
Message 9 of 10

Re: How to do a clean Windows 10 install on M.2 SSD on Ideapad 700-15ISK?


@marko7 wrote:

But how do I update the BIOS if I don't have Windows installed?


(1) Install Windows on the HDD. 

(2) Update the BIOS. 

(3) Re-install Windows on the SSD.

 

Of course, you might be lucky and find that the existing BIOS in the 700 already supports your SSD, so you could install Windows on the SSD immediately.

 

As far as I know, there is no "stand-alone" BIOS Updater.  There ought to be, but there isn't.

 

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

 

 

Bit_0
Punch Card
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎08-18-2015
Location: US
Views: 3,570
Message 10 of 10

Re: How to do a clean Windows 10 install on M.2 SSD on Ideapad 700-15ISK?

"OK, thanks. Is there a specific reason to remove the HDD before installing Windows?"

 

Yeah... seems Windows likes to install WinRe > System Reserved partition to any other standard drive before the SSD. That is my experience anyway. Didn't have a choice and just ran with it....?

Will reinstall again when it acts up again. Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!


Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors