Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JonKay
Paper Tape
Views: 8,380
Message 1 of 7

How to repair/replace keyboard for 510-15ISK Laptop (ideapad) model 80SR?

I splashed some tea on the keyboard of my 510-15ISK Laptop (ideapad) model 80SR and now some of the keys have stopped working. I am in the UK so this is the layout/style of keyboard it uses (not the US layout). The backlight still works fine, though, and the laptop itself works normally, it is only some keys which have stopped working.

I have fixed this problem on other laptops by simply replacing the keyboard, but on my ideapad the keyboard is internal (it doesn't pop out) so I don't know how to do it. Furthermore, I can't find any information about the keyboard for this laptop anywhere on the internet: not on google, not on youtube, not even on this Lenovo website.

How/where can I repair/replace the keyboard? Will it be expensive? I have seen that sometimes only individual keys need to be fixed, not the entire keyboard, could this be an option?

My laptop is still under warranty if that means anything.

Thanks for any help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,339
Message 2 of 7

Re: How to repair/replace keyboard for 510-15ISK Laptop (ideapad) model 80SR?

Hello and welcome,

The keyboard removal and reinstall instructions, as well as the parts list, are in the Hardware Maintenance Manual - ideapad 510-15ISK, 510-15IKB

Please double-check that I have the right model linked.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

JonKay
Paper Tape
Views: 8,323
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for your reply!

The laptop in this manual looks 99% like mine, although the outer case of my laptop is black, unlike that one which is white. Also, my keyboard is the UK style, whereas the one in the manual is US style, and I very much want to use a UK style keyboard, not a US one (I can provide some pictures of my keyboard if this would be helpful).

I have no idea which component the keyboard is on the list on pages 61 and 62. Looking at the instructions on removing it (pages 39 and 40) it looks as if the entire panel where the keyboard is held needs to be replaced, is this correct? I thought that only the keys themselves would need replacing.

Have you any idea how expensive it would be to get a replacement keyboard (or "keyboard bezel")? Would the warranty help with this at all?

Thank you once again.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,315
Message 4 of 7

I'm afraid I have no idea of expense or warranty coverage.

Looking at the HMM it seems the upper case and keyboard are combined.  I don't believe that keys are individually replaceable.

I suspect this would be the UK keyboard.  Please double check before you order anything.

UpperCaseASM UKKB L80SR W/TP,TPFFC 5CB0L37489

I apologize that I can't be of more help.  Hopefully that Fru number (5CB0L37489) will help you track things down or assist if you contact Lenovo.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

JonKay
Paper Tape
Views: 8,311
Message 5 of 7

You have been very helpful, I will search around with your helpful information and report back later any problems or successes I may have.

Thank you!

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,304
Message 6 of 7

You only have to replace the keyboard keys itself, but you will have to remove the upper case to gain access to the screws that must be remoed to replace it.

Below is a link to a replacement keyboard with the UK layout 

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LENOVO-IdeaPad-310-15ISK-510-15ISK-KEYBOARD-UK-LAYOUT-SN20K82487-PM5L-UK-F236...

Good Luck,

JonKay
Paper Tape
Views: 8,172
Message 7 of 7

HI JDGillis,

I bought the keyboard your linked and it is the correct one. Unfortunately, though, when I opened up my laptop and removed the keyboard bezel, it seems that hte old keyboard is fixed to it by a lot of "plastic rivets" (not sure what they are called exactly). I considered cutting/filing them off but decided against it in case it caused problems.

Do you have any suggestions, or in a worst-case scenario, do you know where I could buy a new keyboard bezel (with a keyboard and touchpad included)?

Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors