Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gpiazza
Paper Tape
Views: 9,425
Message 1 of 11

[IDEAPAD 330S 15IKB] Dual Boot with Ubuntu

[What I did]

1- First, I changed the partition allocated to windows (created a new partition of 390GB for the Ubuntu) and left it unallocated (as attached).

2- Created a Bootable drive with my USB flash drive with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

3- I used F2 at boot <with the Ubuntu bootable memory stick in a USB port already> to access BIOS, then set legacy boot and legacy support. I enabled USB booting, disabled secure boot and changed the SATA to AHCI. I saved and rebooted. It booted from the USB into Ubuntu with installation option. It DID NOT detect Windows 10 or any partitions.

Has anyone installed succesfully any Linux distribution on this or simmilar model?  Am I missing somthing here?

Thanks,

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 9,374
Message 2 of 11

Re: [IDEAPAD 330S 15IKB] Dual Boot with Ubuntu

Hi gpiazza,

Welcome to the community forums.

We checked the model of the device and can see it's not tested on Linux operating system. You may create a dual boot, but we cannot guarantee that all features will function properly. Here are the list of the tested devices to run using Linux OS (if the model of your device is not on the list, it means it's not tested):https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd031426 

About the Windows 10 not detected in any partitions, have you also tried turning off the fast startup? If you haven't, you may these steps from this article:https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht501793 If you don't do this, the Windows partition cannot be mounted by Linux to see that there is a Windows partition.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

gpiazza
Paper Tape
Views: 9,357
Message 3 of 11

Hello Ashley,

Inforntunetely it didn't work. The link you sent me was not working propoerly either ("The document you have requested is not available. You may have entered an incorrect URL or login with authorized credentials (for Lenovo Field Servicers and/or Call Center Agents only) to view the page."). But anyway, I will have to send the computer back to the retailer, because it does not support linux. If by any chance you have information about linux working on this model contact me asap.

Thanks,

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 9,355
Message 4 of 11

Hey there, gpiazza! 

Another help here. As we were checking here, the Lenovo IdeaPad 330S 15IKB is not in the list of the Linux certified units. You may check the full information for the Linux certified unit here https://lnv.gy/2NzFSBr;

Regards! 

Mod's Edit: for transparency, shortened link was converted to full URL.......

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd031426?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6.&nbsp&Source=social_e...

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

invalidtoken
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,944
Message 5 of 11

Hey bro did you managed to install ubuntu on your laptop ?
Actually I am planning to buy the same laptop for programming and I also want to dual boot ubuntu with windows so just wanted to know weather you managed to dual boot your laptop or not ?
Daperez
What's DOS?
Views: 8,641
Message 6 of 11

In this video show how to do it from the beginning and try both.

https://youtu.be/f5qWH0hmiAs

Good luck.

TheRealGaryS
Paper Tape
Views: 8,471
Message 7 of 11

For what it is worth I  have been running Ubuntu 18.4 LTS on my Ideapad 330S 15IKB since July with no major problems. Prior to this I was runing Ubuntu 16.4 on an older Toshiba laptop which finally gave up the ghost resulting in the purchase of the Ideapad. I have been playing with various flavors of Linux for a decade.

gpn
What's DOS?
Views: 8,186
Message 8 of 11

can you pls tell the procedure how did you dual boot with ubuntu? 

TheRealGaryS
Paper Tape
Views: 8,162
Message 9 of 11

GOOGLE is your friend:

@gpn wrote:

can you pls tell the procedure how did you dual boot with ubuntu? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5QyjHIYwTQ

I felt I should add:

ALWAYS make a RECOVERY thumb drive of your Windows system (this is not the same as RESTORE) with every new Windows computer. From the Windows START type in RECOVERY and it will walk you through it.

neotint
Paper Tape
Views: 3,458
Message 10 of 11

Thanks for the BIOS info walkthrough in the this video.

That helped me to installed Ubuntu 19.04 from a USB onto my Ideapad 330S 15IKB without any problems.

So all is good there.

But now Windows 10 won't load.

Window auto repair ran for awhile but couldn't fix it.

BIOS is in RST mode.

Stroage is still in non-RAID mode, I can't turn Optane back on, if that's needed.

Anyone have tips handy on this?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors