Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elminster_white
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,311
Message 1 of 3

IdeaPad 100S-11IBY and Windows 10 - issues with turning off computer

Hi!

I had many computers before, but this is something new. My Lenovo IdeaPad 100S-11IBY [Z3735F 2GB 32GB] W10 [Version 10.0.14393] is draining its battery when I don't use it.

For example: I have 79% battery left. I've finished my work for today. I'm shutting down Windows 10 (no sleep mode, just turn off).

Next day I open my computer and I see 10% battery. Smiley Surprised I check Windows event viewer and my laptop didn't turn off properly, it just went to sleep. And 10% battery was left becasue I set power options (if battery = 10% go to hibernation).

When I want to finish work I always use Start Menu / Power / Turn Off. I wait until screen goes blank and power led goes blank as well. Than I close the lid.

Had anyone the same problem? What should I do to prevent this from happening again?

jinx100
802.11n
Views: 1,258
Message 2 of 3

Re: IdeaPad 100S-11IBY and Windows 10 - issues with turning off computer

Likely Windows 10 is turning on your tablet to perform some maintenance or update task. There are several things you may try:

1. Be sure the WiFi is off (and not set to auto-reconnect when turned on) before turning off your tablet. This will prevent any software updates during the night.

2. Set the "battery saver" level to 99% to reduce any background tasks.

3. Set the 10% battery level to off, not hibernate, and disable hibernation (google how to do this). May not help but frees up some ssd memory.

4. Go through all the scheduled tasks disabling those triggered on periodic intervals and seem to be non-essential. Keep a list in case some need to be re-enabled as there are nearly 100 different items.

On my 100s-11 the battery does not drop when powered off.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,252
Message 3 of 3

Re: IdeaPad 100S-11IBY and Windows 10 - issues with turning off computer

@elminster_white wrote:

For example: I have 79% battery left. I've finished my work for today. I'm shutting down Windows 10 (no sleep mode, just turn off).   Next day I open my computer and I see 10% battery.

I am not familiar with the Ideapad 100S, but I had something similar happen with my Ideapad 500-15ISK.

(1) If you have "Fast Start" enabled on your system, when you click "Shutdown" on the Power menu, Windows actually hibernates -- it is not a true shutdown.  If the system is hibernating, it can wake up in the middle of the night to perform all sorts of housekeeping.  So, disable "Fast Start".

(2) There is a version of the Intel "Remote Management Engine" software that misbehaves, and wakes the system unnecessarily.  I uninstalled it, and that solved the problem for a while.  This software is really only of use if the laptop belongs to your employer and he wants to be able to update it remotely.

(3) If Windows 10 has downloaded updates, it schedules a wake-up in the middle of the night to install them, but it can do that only if the system is sleeping or hibernating.  If the system is truely shutdown, that wake-up cannot happen.

(4) Have you defined a power-on password in the BIOS?  I had defined one for my 500-15ISK (to stop thieves benefitting from stealing my laptop), but when the system woke in the middle of the night (to install Windows updates, or triggered by the Intel "Remote Mangement Engine" software), it sat waiting at the BIOS password screen forever, until the battery reached 5%, and then it switched itself off.  So either remove the power-on password, or avoid hibernating or sleeping your system.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors