cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msani18
What's DOS?
Views: 67,314
Message 1 of 14

IdeaPad 100s - I can not change the Boot menu of my Lenovo IdeaPad 100s so I can install Windows 7.

Hello,
Please I need help. In fact I bought a Lenovo laptop 100s with its Windows operating system 10. Now I want to delete Windows 10 to install Windows 7 with a license.
The problem I encounter when accessing the boot menu is the following: not possible to make changes, the EFI Boot Devices option is greyed out, only the Windows Boot Manager option is available.
For clarification I try to perform the installation from a bootable USB drive.

thank you.

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

johnxtampa
Paper Tape
Views: 67,051
Message 2 of 14

Re: I can not change the Boot menu of my Lenovo IdeaPad 100s so I can install Windows 7.

I believe in BIOS settings, you may have a UEFI vs. Classic (I forget the term it uses, something like Classic or Legacy or something like that) boot option.  Choose the nonUEFI option from BIOS.  Then, afterwards, the boot menus should work as you hope.  In theory, UEFI is safer and more secure, so you might want to re-enable when you're all done.  

If you have a large USB drive, I suggest you make a system image too, before the wiping out of Windows 10 altogether. Keep in mind, a couple service packs into it, even Vista became a decent OS eventually.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 67,033
Message 3 of 14

Re: I can not change the Boot menu of my Lenovo IdeaPad 100s so I can install Windows 7.

Are you trying to do a UEFI or legacy install?  Win 7 is usually installed in legacy mode so toggling UEFI to legacy as suggested makes sense.

If you're trying to do a UEFI install (with a properly modified install image) you'll need to turn off secure boot.  You may need to turn off secure boot to toggle to legacy mode.

BTW, it's very good advice to make that Win 10 recovery drive first.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

msani18
What's DOS?
Views: 67,004
Message 4 of 14

Thank you for your answer. UEFI is not editable despite having disabled Secure Boot in the bios.
Now I have another problem, the OS refuses to reboot, I tried to reset the PC. view the message it displays me 63% of the reinitialisation. "A problem occurred during the reinitialisation of your PC."

I await your solutions.
Thank you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 66,997
Message 5 of 14

Sorry,  I don't have an explanation or fix for your boot problems Smiley Sad

Once you get past that, here's how to prep a flash drive to boot a Win 7 installer in UEFI mode:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Discussion-Knowledge/Prepare-an-usb-thumb-drive-to-boot-windo...

Looks like the 100s is UEFI only.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Joelle
What's DOS?
Views: 66,806
Message 6 of 14

@msani18 were you able to change the boot menu? How? cause on my laptop even though i turned off secure boot i still can't change the boot menu only the Windows Boot Manager option is available like what you've stated above.

pollardnm
What's DOS?
Views: 64,711
Message 7 of 14

I too am not able to disable UEFI mode in favor of Legacy mode.  I wish to boot from usb drive to install Linux.    The only option in the boot devices menu (press fn+f12 during boot) is "Windows Boot Manager" 

There is a BIOS update available for the 100s, and the change log states the following:  "Fix[ed] the USB boot device name is incorrect in boot menu."    I upgraded the bios and I saw NO usb boot device options at all.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 64,707
Message 8 of 14

Hi,

I can't be 100% sure of this but I think the 100s has a 32-bit BIOS.  It will be necessary to prepare 32-bit UEFI boot media.

MS makes it available but that last time I checked it will require some hand work to build a bootable Linux.

Z.

mstech101
What's DOS?
Views: 37,584
Message 9 of 14

i have this question too. mine is i have only 3 option. and i can't boot it to my flash drive

only windows boot manager is detected when i entered boot menu

and my bootable flash drive is not detected even it is working on other computers

how can i fix this problem?

can you help me please?
badly needed

mstech101
What's DOS?
Views: 37,581
Message 10 of 14

there is UEFI settings on BIOS menu.

just option which is you can disable Secure boot menu

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors