Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tallpall
Punch Card
Views: 2,713
Message 1 of 6

IdeaPad 110-15ACL is EGREGIOUSLY slow!

I don't see many complaints here along this line so maybe it's just an extra slow AMD A6 7310 processor that only I have.  Honestly, it is so slow that it's used only in emergency. Hard to explain HOW slow it is.  Click on a tab to see a different window can take ten seconds etc.  Task manager shows 100% disk with for 20 - 30 seconds with mostly Chrome the user.  Using Windows 10 home.  Have removed most all extentions.  Startups are down to minimum.   Someone suggested upping ram from 4 to 8 gb.  This has only one slot so would have to completely replace existing 4g stick, but it's a $70 investment that I would only try with very high degree of probable success, and it doesn't sound that helpful to me.   There is no McAfee installed.  Have run several antivirus programs, including Microsoft's own, with nothing of consequence.  AVG free runs all the time.

Would appreciate suggestions.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,674
Message 2 of 6

Re: IdeaPad 110-15ACL is EGREGIOUSLY slow!

4GB is the bare minimum for running Windows 10, so the OS could be spending a lot of time swapping (reading and writing data to HDD in lieu of RAM) which slows the system down.    Increasing it to 8GB might help (you can actually get it for just over 50 bucks), but whether more RAM or an SSD would work better depends partially on whether your system is actually running out of Physical RAM.    Task Manager will show you if you are running out of physical RAM and what processes are using it, so I would start there

Defragging the hdd, deleting temp files and clearing Chrome's cache etc. may help, as will reducing the number of tabs  open in Chrome.

If you only seldom use it, Windows Update may be chewing up resources too, so don't rule that out.

tallpall
Punch Card
Views: 2,657
Message 3 of 6

Thank you very much for the reply. Task manager does show ~80% memory occupied during normal idle states, so I will order the 8gb stick and give that a whirl.
tallpall
Punch Card
Views: 2,640
Message 4 of 6

JD, the memory arrived today.  After giving a youtube video a quick visit I popped this open and replaced the 4gb board with the new 8gb (it has only the one slot).  Powered up and ran.  And did it RUN!  This problem child is now back as a member of our family of useable pcs as it acts quite normally now.  Thank you for your help!

Culex
Paper Tape
Views: 1,817
Message 5 of 6

Customer brought in this exact same laptop with a ST1000LM035. Using hdtune pro and running a 40gb short stroke several times it can either max out at 120MB/s/s or it can max out at 5MB/s out the same test. I don't think it's a software defect.

tallpall
Punch Card
Views: 1,807
Message 6 of 6

replacing the 4g with the 8g strip satisfies me. You have mumbo jumboed me with hdtune pro and shortstroke. I've been out of the computer stuff for nearly 20 years since retiring, and don't really want to chase this stuff down anymore. This is a backup laptop to my primary and it does an acceptable job in that role. TY for the interest.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors