Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philk13
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,491
Message 1 of 26

IdeaPad 310 Touchpad & Lockups

Hello,

I purchased a Lenovo IdeaPad 310-151SK (non-touchscreen).  Other than an extremely awkward placement of the up arrow key and Shift key, I like it.  But there are two reoccuring problems which I can't solve, which may or may not be related.

1) Periodocally, the pointer gets a mind of its own...  it moves erratically, opens and closes windows (as if the buttons left/right buttons are being clicked), jumps around, barely (if at all) responses to motions on the touchpad.  But if I wait 15 to 60 seconds, everything returns to normal.  It's strange.  Waiting for a bit is the only solution.  This happens about once every two hours of usage, not enough to cause real problems, but enough to be annoying.  No apparent  correlation with system utilization, time since boot, etc.

2) Also periodically, the computer hangs.  I can move the mouse cursor, but that's it.  Clicking doesn't get a menu, even on the desktop. In fact, everything with the computer, except the cursor, 'pauses'/freezes for 20-30 seconds. Then it returns to normal.  No correlation with the event above either.

I have tried updating drivers.  I have watched for some event that proceeds the two events.  Frustratingly, the latest driver, from Lenovo website, for the ELAN touchpad causes Win10 to bluescreen, so I have rolled back to previous driver (related/separate issue? why is that driver even posted on the Lenovo official website?)

Finally, the only time I've seen similar behavior with a touchpad/pointer as issue #1 above, it was caused by a bad driver for the embeded GPS in that particular brand/model of that laptop, but I don't think that's related, nor do I think this Lenovo even has a GPS receiver in it.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

philk13
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,386
Message 2 of 26

Re: IdeaPad 310 Touchpad & Lockups

Perhaps I should just ask this question:

Anyone else (who is running Win10 on a IdeaPad 310) getting a bluescreen when updating to the latest ELAN touchpad drivers via the Lenovo website?  I surely can't be the only one... 

I download the latest driver, run the update, reboot, and log-in.  Within seconds, Win10 bluescreens.  Only solution is to boot to Safe Mode and uninstall the recent update.  Anyone else?

JarraArra
Paper Tape
Views: 3,900
Message 3 of 26

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I bought an Ideapad 310 in January 2017 and have had exactly the same problems with the touch pad. Reinstalling drivers hasn't made any difference.
philk13
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,895
Message 4 of 26

I solved half the issue - I think.  A week or two after my last post, I updated drivers for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Win10 and the Intel Management Engine Driver for Win10.  One of those two (I think) stopped the "freezing" problem I described in the original post.  

The sudden erratic pointer "jumping" still happens, I just learned to live with it.  Lenovo technical support was no help.  The Touchpad driver update still causes a Blue Screen. Still not sure why Lenovo put a driver on their webpage that causes a blue screen... 

I notice that there is a newer Touchpad driver on their page.  I am hestant to try it, but I might sometime when I have several free hours to troubleshoot my own laptop.

Not a fan of Lenovo after this purchasse, and less of a fan of Win10, but oh well.

johab
What's DOS?
Views: 3,846
Message 5 of 26

I've got exactly the same problem with the touchpad: two finger scrolling stops and the cursor goes out of control. I tried going into touchpad settings to check settings and although I didn't need to change anything it started working properly. Next time I'm going to try turning the touchpad on and off with the F6 key.

mcBoyt
What's DOS?
Views: 3,770
Message 6 of 26

Has anyone managed to solve the issue with the touchpad - have the same issue with my new 310 purchased from John Lewis a few weeks ago.

The touchpad is fine most of the time but once a hour or so it goes mad for a few minutes - pointer jumps all over the place, registers clicks when nothing is pressed, registers two figures instead of one and begins zooming in and out etc.

It's starting to drive me mad - if not a driver issue then the laptop is going back!

JarraArra
Paper Tape
Views: 3,762
Message 7 of 26

I never managed to resolve the issue. Same as you, it is fine most of the time, but every hour the cursor goes crazy, jumping around the screen and zooming in and out. I just learned to live with it, but I really should have returned the laptop. Other than this one issue, its a pretty good machine and probably the best spec I could've got for the price I paid. I've also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the touchpad drivers and decreasing the pad sensitivity, but this hasn't made a difference. Does anyone know how we can actually speak to someone from Lenovo? Do they ever contribute to these forums? 

philk13
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,684
Message 8 of 26

After several months, I still haven't resolved the erratic mouse pad problem.  The previous two posts say it happens once an hour for them -- for me, it's about once a day or so, but I don't use the laptop that often.  I've been looking for some correlation to other events or programs, haven't found one.  But to be honest, I don't have a ton of time to troubleshoot

this issue. 

Have not tried the more recent touchpad drive update (only the one from a few months back), mainly because I feel I need to clear off a few hours of time to troubleshoot if it goes badly, as the previous ones did.  I repeat my earlier question -- why does Lenovo put a driver on it's webpage that causes a Blue Screen upon install?  *OR* am I the only one getting this problem? 

Wish someone from Lenovo would read these posts and actually provide input.  Also wish the Lenovo phone tech support was even remotely helpful.  Also wish I had returned this laptop when I could.  Lots of wishing.

Laptop was decent value per dollar spent (once you swap out the cheap HDD with a decent SSD), besides this problem and a rather cheap plasic build.  Broke off a corner of the plastic with a small bump.  Overall, very mixed feeling about Lenovo and this laptop, but leaning toward negative opinion of the company and this laptop (and I've purchased or built quite a few computers).

If anyone sovles this issue, or has input, I'd appreciate it.

jdinahammock01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,513
Message 9 of 26

Just want to check in with the same issue. Touchpad goes crazy, which in turn drives me crazy. Hope they come up with a solution soon.

Also, I want to mention that I used KeyTweak to switch the up arrow and right shift key. Then I just popped the two keys out and switched them to make them match their funtion, so far I've been really happy with the results!

jdinahammock01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,525
Message 10 of 26

Ok, well I decided to download the new driver software: Touchpad Driver (Elan, Synaptics) for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ideapad 310-15ABR.

I didn't get a blue screen, so I will count that as a win. I will let you know if it fixes the issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors