Did you mean: 
OskarLitwinczuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 387
Message 1 of 9

IdeaPad 320-15IKBRN 81BG005DPB freezes every 5 seconds for 1 second

Hello.

Why my previous post was deleted?

Mod's Comment: Due to the number of edits you performed on the post, the forum's Spam Filter automatically removed the post from publication believing it to be spam.

I bought my laptop in April 2018. I had to replace it because HDD usage was always 100% and too noisy. Another one was better but still 100% of HDD usage. I've replaced it with SSD drive and upgraded memory from 8 GB to 12 GB. Then fan was replaced on warranty because it was too noisy also so I had some struggle with this machine...

Finally, it works silently but then I've noticed that it freezes almost every 5 seconds for 1 second constantly.  I can further use my laptop but the issue still occurs and it's really uncomfortable. It stops when I restart my laptop (sometimes twice). It's strange because sometimes I can run my laptop without any issue.

Installed drivers:

1. BIOS

2. Chipset

3. Intel ME Firmware

4. Intel MEI

5. Intel UHD Graphics

6. NVIDIA GeForce

I've checked my machine using Lenovo Solution Center and everything seems to be ok.

Any pieces of advice what can be wrong? If you need more details, please specify what do you need and I will provide you. 

I attached some screenshots using Hardware Info. If you need more details, please specify what do you need and I will provide you with.

HWINFO1.pngHWINFO2.pngHWINFO3.png 

Charles1231
802.11n
Views: 359
Message 2 of 9

Re: IdeaPad 320-15IKBRN 81BG005DPB freezes every 5 seconds for 1 second

It could be the RAM having a problem. I'm not so sure. Try to check the RAM if it's properly inserted, or there's any physical wear and tear. Also, the RAM you upgraded must be the same and compatible. Example, if the RAM originally installed is 8GB 2133 MHz, then the RAM you should have bought should be the same thing, 8GB 2133 MHz, not the other ones.
I'm just not so sure.

OskarLitwinczuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 336
Message 3 of 9

In this model, there are two slots for 4 GB RAM. First one is permanently and second can be replaced so I removed second 4 GB RAM and put in 8 GB RAM - Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL15 (CMSO8GX4M1A2133C15). I put it in correctly I think because now I can use my laptop without any issue so it may be not related to RAM.

Charles1231
802.11n
Views: 334
Message 4 of 9

Sorry to say, but you have upgraded it wrongly.

If it's 4GB, you should only upgrade 4GB 2133MHz type of RAM only. Having 12 GB of RAM requires 3x 4GB of RAM, and not 1x 4GB RAM and 1x 8GB RAM. You may run into issues.

I think it's possible to get 2x 8GB 2133MHz RAM instead, totally replacing the 2x 4GB RAM ones. Just make sure it is compatible to your motherboard for a 16GB RAM configuration.

Or just remove the 4GB RAM instead. Try to see if it works.

OskarLitwinczuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 328
Message 5 of 9

I've never heard something like this before.

When you buy RAM it's obvious that it must synchronize with MHz and DDR4 (or DDR3, DDR2 etc.) but in my opinion (and many others) there is no issue with compatibility when you put 8 GB RAM next 4 GB RAM (or other combinations). Many people have done like this before and it was never an issue with compatibility.

OskarLitwinczuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 327
Message 6 of 9

But maybe you're right. I will put back 4 GB RAM and check laptop performance.

Thank you

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 310
Message 7 of 9

@OskarLitwinczuk wrote:

When you buy RAM it's obvious that it must synchronize with MHz and DDR4 (or DDR3, DDR2 etc.) ... there is no issue with compatibility when you put 8 GB RAM next 4 GB RAM

This is correct.  But the size of the memory modules controls whether the laptop operates in single-channel mode, or dual-channel mode.

If you have two or four memory modules, and each pair consists of the same memory size (e.g. two 4GB modules plus two 8GB modules), your system can operate in dual channel mode.

If you have an odd number of memory modules (e.g. 4GB + 4GB + 4GB), or they are not matched in size (e.g. 4GB + 8GB), your system will operate in single channel mode.

Dual-channel mode is faster than single-channel mode, but this depends on the type of workload, varying from 0% faster to 30% faster.  See this test:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel?showall=1

In your case, you have only two memory slots (only desktops have four slots), and I think that one slot has 4GB soldered on the motherboard?  If you fit 4GB in the other slot, you will get dual channel operation; if you fit 8GB, you will get single channel operation.  So the question is this:

Is a total of 8GB working in dual channel mode better than 12GB working in single channel mode?

I have not seen any tests comparing these two configurations, but I suspect that the extra memory in the 12GB config is of more benefit than the dual-channel operation of the 8GB config.

The suggestion to remove the added RAM temporarily to see if the probelm disappears is a good one.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

OskarLitwinczuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 295
Message 8 of 9

Many thanks for the explanation!

I don't know if CPU-Z diagnostic software is reliable but it shows that memory (8+4) is running in dual-channel.

cpu-z.PNG

I'm not sure if I've resolved the issue but it stopped for now after installing the following drivers without removing 8 GB RAM:

1. Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) Driver

2. Intel Processor Family I/O Thermal

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 284
Message 9 of 9

@OskarLitwinczuk wrote:

I don't know if CPU-Z diagnostic software is reliable but it shows that memory (8+4) is running in dual-channel.

I am not familiar with CPU-Z, but I wonder if the "Channel #" field is showing you how many memory channels your motherboard has, and not the number actually in use.  I have just tried CPU-Z on my 700-15ISK (16GB RAM), and I think that it may be the "SPD" tab that shows whether dual channel is in use.  This is what mine shows:

700-15ISK SPD tab.jpg700-15ISK with 16GB RAM

I would welcome an explanation from someone who knows what those fields mean ("Channel #" and "Ranks").

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors