Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 860
Message 1 of 9

IdeaPad 330S - black screen on boot after firmware update

Had a message pop up telling me to restart my IdeaPad 330S to complete a Lenovo firmware update. Tried this, but the update wouldn't install, and had the same message pop up again on desktop.

Went to Device Manager, and attempted to individually update drivers (as per a suggestion on another forum). One firmware driver found an update, downloaded it and said I needed to restart the laptop to complete installation.

I restarted, and the Lenovo loading screen came up with the timer and a message about installing. The timer/message/Lenovo load screen froze. I left it for 2+ hours, still frozen. Eventually gave up, and held down the power button to turn off.

Pressed the power button again, hoping for the Lenovo loading screen to appear. Instead, just a black screen with the power on. Now nothing loads, it's just stuck on a black screen whenever I power on.

What happened? How can I fix this? Thanks.

Smith23481
What's DOS?
Views: 814
Message 2 of 9

Re: IdeaPad 330S - black screen on boot after firmware update

Exact same issue last night. Now laptop won't boot. Just a black screen with the fans spinning. 

Wam0198
Paper Tape
Views: 802
Message 3 of 9

Sane here! Since last night I have a black screen after an Update started. Update froze, I eventually had do turn it off and I don't have any idea what I can doSmiley Sad

MattBirdy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 758
Message 4 of 9

This doesn't look good for Lenovo... Same with my 330s. Windows prompted for the firmware update, thought it was strange to have windows do a "bios" update, I let it restart as it requested and upon reboot it displayed "Installing system update please wait". The animation froze and nothing else happened. This morning, it didn't get any further and now is just a black screen with power LED and fans spinning. 

Hhheeelllllpppppp!!! Windows bricked my new laptop!

Irish_Steve
Punch Card
Views: 746
Message 5 of 9

Hate to tell you this, Lenovo have been aware of this problem for the better part of a month, and I am still waiting for any sort of response from them, either here, or from support tickets, the silence has been deafening. What worked for me with a slightly different scenario (no way to get into windows after it restarted, the keyboard was dead) was to get into the windows safe mode and wind out the most recent Windows Update, and so far, that's worked for me, albeit that it means I am not using the most recent Win 10 release. I am considerably less than impressed with the lack of support that's evident for end users, and to still be waiting for a response nearly a month down the road is an issue that will definitely influence future buying decisions and recommendations, the lack of engagement from Lenovo on this issue is damning as far as I am concerned.
Highlighted
Wam0198
Paper Tape
Views: 716
Message 6 of 9

Hey guys,

Does the Novo-button work at yours? I asked on Lenovo support and thfy told me to use the Novo-button to reset everything but my Screen stays black...

Smith23481
What's DOS?
Views: 713
Message 7 of 9

Novo button does nothing for me. Just black screen. Also left the black screen on for 12hrs last night, still nothing.

MattBirdy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 708
Message 8 of 9

I spoke to support, had me do the standard things to try including the little reset button on the right side. Had me hold it for a minute straight. Nothing changed. Still black screen with no logo. 

I'm sending it in under warranty. 

Wam0198
Paper Tape
Views: 697
Message 9 of 9

Thanks, so I will need to do that, too...
Good luck everyoneSmiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors