cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nuoier
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,105
Message 1 of 113

IdeaPad 720s-13ARR: if the bios won't be updated anymore?

I know this problem have been asked but it actually wasn't solved

I like the ideapad 720s 13arr and but there is a problem with my laptop,I bought an new  "old" ideapad 720s 13arr,the new bios have been release but I can‘t update,as the it said that

"2.Due to security reason if your current system BIOS is less than or equal to v29 that will not support update BIOS to V38, and will be keep BIOS V29 awlays which shipment with RS2 preload."

I know the new machine can be update beacuse I have a new ideapad 720s 13arr before it ran into problem with v37 bios and I exchange to this one.

in v37 it said the same thing,but I am now wondering if lenovo engineers are still trying to fix the security problem and when our machine can get updete

if lenovo just give up support for machine with v29 and v28 bios?I am really worry about my machine won't get any bios support anymore.

Moriarty_91
Token Ring
Views: 4,999
Message 2 of 113

Re: IdeaPad 720s-13ARR: if the bios won't be updated anymore?

Hello!

You are right, this problem has been discussed here in several threads, but there is no solution or official reply from Lenovo.

As you are the only active person here that has or had access to both types of machines (2?WW and 3?WW) may I ask whether you have noticed any differences? Unless we get an answer from Lenovo this might give us some clues what was changed in the revisions.

Furthermore it is interesting to note that there was an updater to 29WW which was removed and replaced by the 38WW which does not update 2?WW. Is this a mistake or otherwise what is Lenovos pupose with it?

So come on Lenovo, give us an official statement!

Thanks!

Moriarty

nuoier
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,981
Message 3 of 113

I don't think there are any difference between new machine(3x) an old machine(2x) in motherbored as I saw this.

[link removed]

maybe need a translator

it's not easy but they actually successful update to 3x from 2x

so I think that is just a software problem and lenovo didn't solve it

but there is a difference between new machine and old machine,the old machine use Samsung ssd,and new machine use others,I forget what it is but it not good as Samsung's

Moderator comment: Link to BIOS sideloading and injection of proprietary information has been removed.

Boofer
Paper Tape
Views: 4,921
Message 4 of 113

I can confirm that the update via hardware bios programmer works fine. The blog missed a lot of tricky details.

In the next few days I will publish my own version in English and German. :-)

Now i am on Bios 6kcn38ww and started with 6kcn28ww.

I think it is just a bug in the 6kcn2*ww bios versions.

It could also be related to the Windows 10 version on the recovery partition.

Maybe this can not handle the current Bios versions and they want to avoid problems with that.

Moriarty_91
Token Ring
Views: 4,887
Message 5 of 113

Hello!
Good to know that 38WW seems to work on "old" (ie 2?WW) machines.

But though I am interested in computers I do not have access to a bios programmer and have never done so before.

I think it is very disappointing from Lenovo to create such a chaos without giving any explanation or help even after several threats on this topic.

I will wait and eventually return my machine if they don't clear this up.

Moriarty

fernandop_009
Paper Tape
Views: 4,776
Message 6 of 113

Hi,

and the new update fixes the problem in youtube and chrome? the performance its the same(cpu and gpu)? 

Thanks!

eddytanzil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,742
Message 7 of 113

Glad to know that my machine actually can be updated to 38WW.

According to that blog above, it seems that 38WW fix Youtube issue.

I hope Lenovo update 38WW so I can flash it in my laptop sooner than latter. Otherwise, i will send this thing back and switch back to mac Smiley Sad.

For your info, latest GPU driver clocked at 200MHz instead of 300MHz in our current version.

Highlighted
axusuxa
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,730
Message 8 of 113

Yes. After updated to 38WW and update AMD VGA Driver to newer version in support page. Youtube and chrome work fine.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,642
Message 9 of 113

Moderator comment: Two posts discussing injection of system S/Ns and Windows licenses into BIOS have been removed from view. Discussion of tools to modify system information proprietary to OEMs and license issuers is inappropriate for this community. Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

eddytanzil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,611
Message 10 of 113

Finally, Lenovo respond but thats not the statement I've been waiting for..

Today I decide to send back my ideapad 720s and switch back to my old mac Smiley Sad.

Good Bye lenovo, its Not Nice to meet youSmiley Frustrated

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors