cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ViBogdan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 705
Message 91 of 111

Betreff: IdeaPad 720s-13ARR: if the bios won't be updated anymore?

I just updated to Windows Build 17763 and it seems that some of the errors I had on BIOS v29 returned. After I installed v30, I had no more problems with video, but after this update to 17763 some problems returned. I don't get the blue screen anymore, like before, but some videos on youtube seem to get stuck and it usually takes around 3-4 seconds (green or black screen) before it starts playing again. 

So if Lenovo does not come out with a new update for machines with v30, then it's clear that they will no longer support this version. I hope it's not the case.

Coofer
Punch Card
Views: 512
Message 92 of 111

Yeah Classic Version "Support" is back. https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/6kcn30ww.exe is back online -Still waiting for the new AMD Drivers directly from AMD that were promised at CES.- Actual using a mixture of Lenovo + not supported GPU Driver (Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics - Unlocked) from the amd.com driver package.
Coofer
Punch Card
Views: 460
Message 93 of 111

Happy end about the drivers! First direct AMD Driver for mobile Ryzen:

W10 64 Bit: https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/beta/win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-edition-19.2.3-feb25...

W7 64 Bit: https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/beta/win7-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-edition-19.2.3-feb25....

After installation, the touchpad driver was missing and I had to do a Windows Update search to install the missing driver.
I needed an external mouse for that ....

I made some tests (Browser, Video, Netflix, Wow, RotTR) and all worked fine.

LukeSkywalker90
Paper Tape
Views: 360
Message 94 of 111

Re: IdeaPad 720s-13ARR: if the bios won't be updated anymore?

Hello everyone, I don't know if anyone will still be interested in this topic but my girlfriend has bought 720s 13ARR with Bios V29 and we only came across the whole BIOS update drama because of issues with GPU present mostly when viewing YouTube and Netflix. Before reaching to Lenovo Support I read carefully everythig in this and many other threads but still I decided to contact them via the phone.

During the first phone call Service Desk person said that there is a workaround which enables people with 13ARR's shipped with V29 BIOS to update them to the "newest" V41 BIOS. After the phone call I received an e-mail with four zip files (I am listing only the names below for now) and short instruction.

Extract the below 4 ZIP files to an appropriate folder like C:\temp\ideapad720s

Ideapad720s.zip
6KCN38WW_X64_SMT.zip
6KCN29WW_T01.zip
6KCN27WW_X64_SWDL.zip

Follow the instructions below:
Enter OS, run cmd/powershell as administrator, and navigate to the location the .zip was extracted.
Run read.bat.
Run 6KCN27WW_X64_SWDL.exe. The system will auto reboot and flash BIOS automatically.
During the BIOS flash, system will auto reboot and then enter OS.
Run cmd/powershell as administrator and navigate to the location the .zip was extracted.
Run DisSF.bat.
Run 6KCN29WW_T01.exe. The system will auto reboot and flash BIOS automatically.
Once BIOS flash finishes, press power button 4 seconds for power off, then press power button to power on and boot to OS.
Run cmd/powershell as administrator and navigate to the location the .zip was extracted.
Run Write.bat.
Restart OS, and enter OS to check BIOS version in MSINFO32.
Upon verification of BIOS version is “6KCN29WW-T01” the user has the capability to flash RS3 BIOS 6KCN38WW_X64_SMT.exe as normal.

It turned out that the zip file which contains setup file for V38 is password protected (I also noticed the suffix naming of those files like _SWDL & _T01 &_SMT and still don't know what they mean) and this brought me to the next phone call during which I was told that I should use the newest V41 file during the last step of the instruction above.

At the same time I discovered that there is a possibility to download the V30 BIOS setup file from the original Lenovo site as you guys mentioned before. The description specifically lists all of the BIOS versions which should be updated using this setup file.

This brings me to conclusion - Frankly I don't know which way should I proceed from now as using the V30 file will most likely prevent me from being albe to go with the method mentioned by Lenovo Support. On the other hand I feel like using the zip files provided by the Lenovo can brick the laptop.

I will appreciate any input from your side.

Coofer
Punch Card
Views: 328
Message 95 of 111

Hi, my advice is simple. Update to V30 and make sure, that you use the newest amd graphics divers f.i. https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-edition-19.4.1-apr3.exe . I think, the other update path should work as well starting with v30, because the first step is an downgrade to v27. But the v41 is just a higher number. My experience is, that v30 and v41 are the same and you will not get better results.
haryadi_aja
Blue Screen Again
Views: 307
Message 96 of 111

This is really interesting, is it possible that you forward the files to us to try?
LukeSkywalker90
Paper Tape
Views: 299
Message 97 of 111

Hopefully these will not get deleted since they come from the Lenovo itself:

The V38 is password protected as I mentioned but according to the instruction V41 from the official Support page should work. 
haryadi_aja
Blue Screen Again
Views: 250
Message 98 of 111

Did you manage to successfully flash the 41 bios? I am stuck to the error screen saying "The version of ROM file is not newer than that of BIOS".

Did you face same issue?

LukeSkywalker90
Paper Tape
Views: 229
Message 99 of 111

Which version are you currently stuck on? Did you manage to go back to V27 and flash the modified V29? 

I haven’t tried this method yet but maybe we should actually use V30 and update the drivers as @Coofer mentioned in this thread. 

haryadi_aja
Blue Screen Again
Views: 225
Message 100 of 111

actually I am on 29-t01 now, all procedures completed successfully and I am on the stage on installing protected zip version 38,which I have replaced to 41 as recommendation by Lenovo as you stated earlier.

The problem is, when I tried to run version 41, I am stuck on the error screen, making me no go to continue installation.

This makes as if 29-T01 is newer than version 41 Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors