cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oliwe
Paper Tape
Views: 705
Message 81 of 111

Betreff: IdeaPad 720s-13ARR: if the bios won't be updated anymore?

I got the 720s-13ARR with BIOS 6KCN27WW installed in August.
After one Blue Scree after another I updated to 6KCN29WW and then to 6KCN30WW.
Yes - it is not possible to update to higher BIOS version numbers.
Yes - 6KCN30WW is removed from the lenova download page.
No information - nothing since month!
It is my first lenovo - maybe the last one.
ViBogdan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 673
Message 82 of 111

I think what you are saying is a bit extreme, really! BIOS updates are not like anti-virus updates, to be done once every week or even more often. So a last BIOS update 3 months ago(30 seems to have been released on the 25th of August) seems decent to me, to be honest.

Secondly, 6KCN30WW is very stable. Since updating to it from 27 I've literally had no more problems or blue screens. So the main issue seems to be fixed. You can still find version 30 on the chinese site. That's where I got it from. 

And last, you can see many other manufacturers having the same problems (HP and Samsung to name a few) with these components. I really taught of taking it back, but after trying a few other laptops in the same price range I decided it was not worth it. I really love the quality of this laptop. For the above reasons I was willing to hold on to it. 

Keep an eye on the chinese site to see if any newer versios appear, and note that if you woul've gotten an HP with the same specs, you would have encountered the same issue Smiley Happy.

Moriarty_91
Token Ring
Views: 614
Message 83 of 111

Latest news:

While for the newer machines (i.e. shipping with 1709) 41WW was released, all traces of bios updates for the older (i.e. shipping with 1703) machines have been removed. Even the link saying content is currently updated is not available right now...

As I have said before: I would have expected Lenovo to communicate it bit mor about the two different types of machines, the different bios updates and perhaps the reason why the older bios is removed completely right now. The whole process is highly suspiciable: Is there something wrong with the older machines? Are they unable to deal with this "new" AMD-technology?  Do they have difficulties themselves in  distinguishing between two different products under the same name?
Lenovos behaviour, that's what I think is more than just disappointing.
But perhaps that's because Ideapads are the consumer notebooks and Thinpads would have received better support.

oliwe
Paper Tape
Views: 584
Message 84 of 111

@ViBogdan:

Your are kidding - right?
I bought a brand new laptop for around 1000 Euros.
The laptop crashes all the day.
No official information of lenovo until now!!! Nothing.
I have downloaded a bios from a chinese lenovo webpage - since then I had just one blue screen (last three weeks).

That's okay.
But still no bios on the official lenovo webpages - nothing.
Now even the hint that there will be a bios update is removed by lenovo. Without any communication!!!
And you say, that is Okay?!?

No, this is really NOT okay.

ViBogdan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 558
Message 85 of 111

Why don’t you return it then Smiley Happy ? I’m not hiding the fact that I had this option on the table but decided to keep it after I updated to v30.

Moriarty_91
Token Ring
Views: 477
Message 86 of 111

Well, Lenovo lists two Security-Updates in the releasenotes for 41WW. I wonder if and when this update will arrive in the (27-30) older branch. Although the system is working very well with 30WW I think security updates are important and should not take to long to release once they are known...

Moriarty_91
Token Ring
Views: 472
Message 87 of 111

A short addendum: It's getting weirder and weirder.

Someone in the German forums reports that the incompatible bios is even offered on the download pages after entering the clearly identifying serial number: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-300-500-700/Problem-beim-Bios-Update-eines-720s-13ar...

Maybe Lenovo really lost track of this device and its at least two revisions!?

GradAnthNerd
Paper Tape
Views: 414
Message 88 of 111

This is EXACTLY my problem. First it was white screens and black screen crashes (it was a graphics card update that fixed that). But sprinkled between have been blue screen crashes and its def the bios. Its now dec 2018... I am unhappy and not sure what to do. At least I know I'm not alone or going crazy!
GradAnthNerd
Paper Tape
Views: 412
Message 89 of 111

This is interesting because the answer was just a new update- but the newer bios are also getting this same "cant update" error. So I wonder what the actual answer going forward will be.

ViBogdan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 402
Message 90 of 111

Are you still having problems after updating to v30 bios? That cured all of my issues related to blue screens and video playback problems.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors