Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdhill
Not applicable
Views: 1,417
Message 1 of 8

IdeaPad 720s will not output to TV with 1080p at 60hz

I have my IdeaPad 720s connected to a Samsun HDTV via the hdmi port and it will only output at 30hz for any resolution above 720p. I am given the option in the Intel Graphics settings panel but when I select 60hz the screen goes black.

My older Flex 4 can output 1080p at 60hz, so it is very frustrating that this newer machine with dedicated mx150 graphics is unable to do the same. Is there something that I'm missing?

Mark1981
Not applicable
Views: 1,360
Message 2 of 8

Re: IdeaPad 720s will not output to TV with 1080p at 60hz

I have the same issue with my 720s as well. 

My old macbook would connect to my Panasonic TV without any problem. My 720s (which I love) doesn't display on my screen.

I have used the Intel display programme, but every option doesn't work. All I get is a flickering picture. 

Any suggestions?

mdhill
Not applicable
Views: 1,343
Message 3 of 8

Supposedly using the usb-c port to connect to the TV should work; however I don't have an adapter for it so I can't test that out.

This is truly frustrating and may cause me to return the laptop even though I too like it quite alot.

It also seems like such a waste of the dedicated graphics, which were the main draw of this laptop for me, to not be able to playback video with it but instead having to rely on the integrated graphics. 

mdhill
Not applicable
Views: 1,284
Message 4 of 8

Can anybody else confirm that this isn't a problem specific to my machine? Has anyone else successfully output 1080p at 60hz with theirs.

It can output 1600x900 and any lower resolution at 60hz but not 1080p. Even though it gives me the option for 1080p at 60hz in the display settings, when I select that nothing is output to the TV. Once again, my older Lenovo Flex has no problems with this.

Mark1981
Not applicable
Views: 1,265
Message 5 of 8

I am not an expert and only have experience of similar issues with windows issues in the past, but my belief is that it is a Intel graphics Driver issue. I think it needs updating. 

If you review other message threads on the Intel 620 graphics card, i have noted others having issues with this card.

I have contacted the customer support at Intel, but a lone response never triggers any action. I have the up to date driver, but I feel it needs an update

amarp84
Not applicable
Views: 1,239
Message 6 of 8

This works if you force the laptop to use Intel drivers vs Lenovo Intel drivers. I downloaded the updated driver from Intel directly (google Intel 620 driver) and installed the driver manually via device manager.  Now the laptop can display at 1080p at 60hz.  Hopefully Lenovo will update the drivers soon. Seems like this laptop hasn't seen any driver updates since September!

Be careful when you do this as Lenovo doesn't completely support that driver.

mdhill
Not applicable
Views: 1,223
Message 7 of 8

It's working now. Thank you so much for responding. I did notice before that the Intel Graphics driver was much older than the current one offered by Intel, but after several failed attempts to manually install the newer version, I just resigned myself to it being for some reason incompatible with this machine.

After reading your post, I decided to look a little further and found this thread that helped me out. The solution was on the second to bottom post.

I hope there are no negative side effects from not using a Lenovo supported driver. One misgiving I had when purchasing this laptop was that given its lack of popularity compared to others like the Yoga 720, there would be less updates and support from Lenovo. This now seems to have been shown to be true.

ylavoie
Not applicable
Views: 1,157
Message 8 of 8

I also had the same issue on my Lenovo Flex 5.  The output on my monitor at 50 hz was very fuzzy.  After a couple of nights of trying to debug the issue, I finally got it working by installing the Intel driver directly using these instructions.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors