Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goliath969
Paper Tape
Views: 16,903
Message 1 of 10

IdeaPad Flex 14 HDD to SSD upgrade

Hi!

I have the Lenovo IdeaPad 14 (US version) with a hybrid drive Seagate SSHD Thin (500GB HDD + 8GB SSD). I want to upgrade to an SSD and dual-boot with Ubuntu 14.04. My main issues are the following:

- Is the HDD user replaceble? Would I be voiding my warranty if I open my laptop?

- Can I use the mSATA and SATA to put two drives and dual-boot between them? Would the BIOS/UEFI allow me to do so? (I haven't previously worked with mSATA drive and I don't know how they are recognised by the motherboard or how they appear in device manager)

- How do I safely transfer my Windows 8.1 installation from the old SSHD to the new SSD in order to keep my files/settings and most importantly my Windows license?

- While I'm at it, why not upgrade the RAM as well. So does the laptop have one or two slots for RAM as I couldn't find any specs/service manual online?

- Where do I find a service manual in order to know how to properly disassemble the laptop?

If anybody knows the answer to any of these, please write/post a link here. It will be much appreciated!

Thank you! Smiley Happy

goliath969
Paper Tape
Views: 16,801
Message 2 of 10

Re: IdeaPad Flex 14 HDD to SSD upgrade

Actually, I meant the NGFF slot to put the second SSD. The laptop doesn't have an mSATA. Smiley Happy

sjbennion
What's DOS?
Views: 16,507
Message 3 of 10

The manual can be found at:

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_flex14flex15_hmm.pdf

I have the UK version of the Flex 14 and I must say getting the case detached along 3 sides is fairly easy, I'm not so sure about the final 4 side that runs along the battery side of the laptop.

I'll have another try in a few days and let you know 

Highlighted
goliath969
Paper Tape
Views: 16,522
Message 4 of 10

Hi,

Thanks for the help, but I solved my own problem. I got the maintanence manual and used it to upgrade the RAM and install an NGFF SSD. Btw, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS works pretty well on it and since todays update the touchpad and other issues are no longer present. I could post a guide if anyone is interested in upgrading/installing hardware and migrating Windows and/or installing Ubuntu.

Thanks anyway. Smiley Happy

Regards

sjbennion
What's DOS?
Views: 16,472
Message 5 of 10

Once the screws are removed under the angular feet the back comes of the laptop.

Glad you've been able to have the confidence to get the back of the laptop. I guess you thought what I thought, the base inards will fit anything from 13.3" to 15.6 using little more than different length ribbon connectors. Fitting it in a 11.6" device may be possible although the hard drive may have to SSD.

I find it hard to believe you need to remove 24 screws to remove the HDD, and 24 to go back afterwards. Had a play with Ubuntu 14.04 using VMWare player myself, although for some stupid reason it didn't prompt for a user and password during the install leaving me only able to use the guest account to log in. I clearly need 8GB of RAM and an SSD to make a smoother VM experience of Ubuntu and another VM install to save my settings.

Certainly worth taking the back off to have a look.

flexwarrior
What's DOS?
Views: 16,255
Message 6 of 10

@goliath969 I bought a Flex 14 a week back and have been thinking of exactly doing the same things you mentioned. Instead of Ubunu I might go for Mint 17. Could you please share the details on how you went about putting a new SSD disk and also preserving the Win8.1 settings.

And hows the battery life? I am hardly getting 3 hours with few tabs in Chrome, RDP connections to a computer and vsphere client running! I am quite vary of the battery life!

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

Prax

srichand_i
What's DOS?
Views: 14,496
Message 7 of 10

Hi,

I am planning to buy a lenovo flex 2 14 inch with 6 GB RAM as I cannot find a configuration in Uk with 8GB RAM I wanted to know if its defenitely possible to upgrade the RAM to 8GB.Is there any specific RAM product I have to buy so that its compatible with Lenovo flex 2.Also regarding the hard disk upgrade is it easy too and is there any specific Hard disk brand(SSD0 i have to buy.Please advice.

Thank you

goliath969
Paper Tape
Views: 14,436
Message 8 of 10

Hi,

In my long and heavy battles with Lenovo I have found out that you can only upgrade RAM and maybe the M.2 SSD if your slot is empty. Everything else is locked down with an Hardware ID Whitelist, which Lenovo insist is there to protect you. Basically, this means you can only upgrade parts such as your WiFi adaptior with Lenovo approved/manufactured parts. 

My advice is to email technical support and ask them specific questions.

I hope it helps

RyuOnline
What's DOS?
Views: 11,478
Message 9 of 10

Where do I find the prducts on this said White list
koolgreens
Fanfold Paper
Views: 973
Message 10 of 10

@goliath969 wrote:

Thanks for the help, but I solved my own problem. I got the maintanence manual and used it to upgrade the RAM and install an NGFF SSD. ............... I could post a guide if anyone is interested in upgrading/installing hardware and migrating Windows

Kudos👍  Could you post a guide ....... I want to upgrade to a 1TB or 2TB SSD (SATA ?) and also use the m.2 slot (if available) for a secondary SSD. ........ Most importantly I want to copy the Recovery Partition existing in the present SSHD to the new primary SSD, so that the Lenovo One Key Recovery software functions as before. ..... Thanks in anticipation 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors