Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ben5243
Paper Tape
Views: 519
Message 1 of 5

IdeaPad Flex 5-1570 not using 2nd GPU

My employer purchased this laptop for me when I started last week and I need to do a fair bit of 3D CAD work but nothing on the extreme end.

When I start opening up models the onboard Intel Graphics goes nuts (typically jumping around from 60 to 80%) but GPU1 (NVIDIA GeForce MX130) never shows any use.  I told Windows to search for new drivers and it updated them but nothing changed.  I also updated the Lenovo BIOS.

Anything else I can try?  Screenshot attached.  TIA

GPU
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 481
Message 2 of 5

Re: IdeaPad Flex 5-1570 not using 2nd GPU

Hi ben5243!

Welcome to the community forums.

By default the secondary GPU of the laptop will not activate if you are not doing any high intensive graphics task like gaming on the laptop. It will automatically switch on the NVIDIA GPU of your laptop if your task needed to use a better graphics card to handle the task. It means that the integrated graphics card (Intel Graphics 620) can still handle the task you're doing on the laptop that's why it shows it is being used. If you want to use the secondary GPU (NVIDIA) on your laptop for a specific task, you can change the settings from the NVIDIA Control Panel. You can check the photo attached as a reference.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

ben5243
Paper Tape
Views: 471
Message 3 of 5

Thanks, I guess that makes sense.

I'm not having any lagging issues so far.

I connected a USB-C (3.0) dock with dual 4k monitor support (made by Wavlink) and everything seemed the same.  It was still using the same % GPU as before.

I'll be connecting a 4k monitor tomorrow and see if it kicks on the nvidia chip.

I did find those settings but the program I'm using was not listed.

Thanks

ben5243
Paper Tape
Views: 452
Message 4 of 5

Okay today with my 4K monitor the Intel Graphics are pegged at 98-100% when spinning a model and I'm getting serious delays and lag/very low frame rate.  My best guestimate it's rendering at 4-5fps when rotating a 3D object.

The NVIDIA is still stuck at 0%

Performance is the same using built in HDMI port and the USB 3.0 dual display dock.  Both max out the GPU and have the same lag

For more detail - I'm using Altium Designer v18 which I just checked and it uses a DirectX renderer for 3D  (hopefully that's helpful)

Is there anything I can install to make use of the NVIDIA GPU in this situation or should I recommend my employer get me something with better integrated graphics?  I believe today is the last day of the return period for this laptop.

Attached performance monitor

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 434
Message 5 of 5

Try to manually add the program you are using in Nvidia Control panel. Check this link from Nvidia website: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-s...

Regards,

Matt_lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors