cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BGLAZ
Blue Screen Again
Views: 134
Message 1 of 2

IdeaPad L340-15API asking for Hard Drive Password (which I never set) after Installing Updates

Hello,

Has anyone had a similar problem, or know how I can fix the issue? Not sure if there is a default password for the HD or not.

Full story:

I have had my Ideapad L340 for about three months now. I have had no issue until I let it do some system updates last night/this morning. I don't remember if it was BIOS updates or Windows updates. I usually do all of them. When I went to turn on, it goes to a black screen that in order to move forward I must go through the Boot Manager. After going through the settings and hitting F10 to "Save and Exit" I am prompted for a Hard drive password. 

I have never set a hard drive password. I did not even know you could set a hard drive password. The only password I have set is the windows log on password. That doesn't work, and I can't seem to find anything that does.

It also says my hard drive is a Toshiba MQ04ABF100. Does Lenovo use Toshiba hard drives? My laptop was brought from Lenovo's website. It is still under warranty (have all receipts too), but wasn't sure if there was another fix before sending it in.

I use a Carbon X1 for work and I love it. It is extremely frustrating that the laptop we bought for my son for school is having issues after less than 3 months. If there is any work around or fix we can do, please let us know.

Thanks.

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 59
Message 2 of 2

Re: IdeaPad L340-15API asking for Hard Drive Password (which I never set) after Installing Updates

fwiw, is there a menu option in BIOS for specifically setting up hard drive password?

Without the password, only suggestion is remove the hard drive and put a new SSD or hard drive in and reinstall Windows.

Or send laptop to Lenovo and have the drive replaced under warranty as it may simply have failed. 

Note, they might even accuse you of setting the hard drive password especially if menu option exists in BIOS for setting hdd password - there may be a charge for replacing the hard drive.

(I don't work for Lenovo)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors