Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ideapad_100_usr
Paper Tape
Views: 14,911
Message 1 of 13

Ideapad 100-14IBY impossible to remove keyboard

Hello,

I like to replace my standard harddisk in my Ideapad 100-14IBY with a SSD. I have read the corresponding Maintenance manual and followed the instructions step by step.

It is impossible to remove the keyboard without breaking it, it seems like it is glued. Is there any advise, other than sending it in to a service partner, how to safely remove the keyboard ?

I just don´t get it why Lenovo really makes it so hard for users to change the drive in this particular model.

Thank you in advance

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 14,906
Message 2 of 13

Re: Ideapad 100-14IBY impossible to remove keyboard

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Please review the Lenovo Training Video for your model and the section pertaining to removing the keyboard.  Chances are the little catches on the edge of the keyboard are holding things up.

https://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/showcase?sid=701&key=TGVuZw==

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Ideapad_100_usr
Paper Tape
Views: 14,903
Message 3 of 13

Thank you for your reply and the link to the videos.

Indeed it looks easy in this video, but I assure you that the keyboard is firmly stuck and there is no way to lift it up without breaking it. I may give it another go with a different tool, but I doubt this will let me take it off without damaging it.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 14,878
Message 4 of 13

I assume that you have removed all the screws?  Does the keyboard appear to be stuck along the edges or in the center area?

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Ideapad_100_usr
Paper Tape
Views: 14,862
Message 5 of 13

Yes, I removed all the screws, even the unnecessary ones at the back cover, following the maintainance guide.

It is really hard to tell, where the keyboard is stuck, it could be both along the edges and the center area.

I just don´t really see a way to remove the keyboard as shown in the guide and videos. It is just stuck and won´t move, like a screw would be still in. But there is none.

(sorry for my English)

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 14,853
Message 6 of 13

I would think with the screws removed you should be able to slide the keyboard slightly (up / down or left / right) while it is still in the palm rest.  If it doesn't, either there are additional screws that aren't noted in the manual or the keyboard has a really tight fit into the palm rest.  

In doing a little searching I came across the website below regarding the Ideapad 100 upgrades.   One person commented about adhesive strips under the keyboard.  That maybe the problem you are encountering.  Here is that website.....

http://laptopmedia.com/news/inside-lenovo-ideapad-100-disassembly-internal-photos-and-upgrade-option...

Ideapad_100_usr
Paper Tape
Views: 14,841
Message 7 of 13

Thank you for your reply, that could indeed be the case.

For now I will order some special tools to lift up the keyboard and give it a try. I will post the results whenever I am finished with it, because this information could be interesting for other users too. And maybe for Lenovo as an addendum to the manual, if there are really strips.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 14,831
Message 8 of 13

Keep us posted, please.

Ideapad_100_usr
Paper Tape
Views: 14,826
Message 9 of 13

Mission accomplished.

I gave it another try without a special tool. I just used different plektrums from my guitar.

There are indeed adhesive, silver strips between the keyboard and the case which make it harder to remove it. These adhesive strips seem to be necessary to have the keyboard really flat and levelled. But the problem were primarily the plastic clips. (I don´t know if this is the proper English term )

The way the maintainance manual describes it is a bit sloppy in my view. The video doesn´t help at all as this is already a removed keyboard without the adhesives. And furthermore, there should be more info about the clips and how to exactly go for it.

I did it this way:

Use a paper clip on the screw hole which is opposite to the Function keys. Lift it up a bit so that you can get a plastic tool between the case and the keyboard, in my case a plektrum. Then I used another, stiffer plektrum to level the keyboard up at the plastic-clips. The rest should be done with fingers, working around clockwise and just pull it up gently more and more, always pulling it near the clips.

Furthermore there is no need to remove the battery as described in the manual as you can go for the drive as soon as the back cover is off.

And another hint for other users:

Try booting as soon as you can attach the SSD drive to the connector with the notebook still disassembled but avoid any contact with any parts of the mainboard. Because mine did a boot loop as soon as I had nearly all screws back in place so that I needed to reopen the notebook. A firmware update to the SSD solved the problem.

So it seems it is a bit picky with SSDs - my drive is a Corsair Force LS 60GB.

Thank you for your help, I hope that his could help others who have problems with removing the keyboard.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 14,813
Message 10 of 13

Glad to hear that you were able to get the keyboard removed.  Thank-you as well for posting the details on how you accomplished it.  That information will help others in upgrading your model.

You are probably correct on the reasoning for the adhesive strips.  As laptops get thinner so do their keyboards.  Earlier this year I replaced the keyboard on another brand of laptop.  The replacement got slightly bent during shipping and I had a heck of time getting it to lay flat.  As for your clips, I have no idea what they're for.  Usually the keyboard itself will have little tabs along the edge that will catch inside the palm rest.

My guess is the battery removal recommendation is to guard against accidental short circuits while working inside the laptop.  While some folks maybe comfortable working inside without removing the battery, others might do the extra step and remove the battery for a little additional peace of mind.

Thanks again for the follow-up posting !

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors