Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sndrnrvk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,766
Message 1 of 18

Ideapad 100-15IBY BIOS broken

After installing Ubuntu on my ideapad 100-15IBY type 80MJ, my BIOS appears to be broken. I was not happy with the Ubuntu distro and I wanted to install something else, but I was not able to boot from either USB or CD-ROM after this install. In fact, any changes made in the BIOS is not saved (I tried resetting virtually everything). At first I thought this must be due to a problem with the EFI partition or bootloader, so I disconnected the SSD drive but then BIOS could not find any bootable media. I also tried replacing the CMOS battery (atleast I assume this is the CMOS battery, a CS2032 battery on the motherboard), still no improvement. 

What can I do to reclaim my computer? Would it be possible to remove the harddrive, put it in another computer and install windows and so update the bios from lenovos winflash bios updater? Or is there an easier option? I suppose lenovos winflash thing will not be working under WINE? Not being able to boot from USB is really a big issue for me...

atexit8
Punch Card
Views: 1,736
Message 2 of 18

Re: Ideapad 100-15IBY BIOS broken

You don't have BIOS in your 100-15IBY.

You have UEFI in your 100-15IBY.

It is also not possible to break the UEFI.

It is firmware on the motherboard.

sndrnrvk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,729
Message 3 of 18

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps the terminology is not correct, I am just used to referring to it as BIOS and I also mentioned the EFI partition on my SSD drive, so I believe the essence of my problem should still be clear. The same goes for the term 'broken', it is perhaps not the right word but it sure needs to be fixed.

Apologies for using the incorrect terminology, do you have any suggestions as how to regain control of my UEFI so I can boot from USB again?

atexit8
Punch Card
Views: 1,724
Message 4 of 18

I have no idea what steps you are taking to boot correctly to your SSD.

With your disassembly of your laptop, it could very well be that you broke it. Especially if you were not careful with ESD protection.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Lenovo-15iby-BIOS-mode-can-t-recognize-...

sndrnrvk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,712
Message 5 of 18

Your replies arent very helpful. What do you mean by what steps I am taking to boot correctly to my SSD? I'm booting to SSD just fine, but my computer does not recognize any other bootable media and changes in my UEFI are not saved.

jmt87
Punch Card
Views: 1,705
Message 6 of 18

OK, quick question. How old is the Ubuntu distro you are using?  Is it the newer 17.10 build?

Reason I ask is up till the last week or so, there was a kernel bug in that build of Linux, specifically an Intel driver bug that was messing up certain UEFI firmware.  The bug is a known problem, but I haven't heard of a solid fix. Will try to research it more and maybe provide some help to you. 

sndrnrvk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,686
Message 7 of 18

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is 17.10, but to be more exact it is ubuntustudio, which might be using a different (realtime) kernel. 

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,680
Message 8 of 18

@sndrnrvk wrote:

After installing Ubuntu on my ideapad 100-15IBY type 80MJ, my BIOS appears to be broken.

There are several other threads discussing this problem.  The following is the most popular (7 pages of posts):

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/ll04_en/page/1/thread-id/154203

The following is in the Linux section (2 pages of posts):

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Ubuntu-17-10-corrupts-Lenovo-BIOS-USB-not-recognized-n...

You will need to monitor these (and other) threads to determine when a solution becomes available.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

sndrnrvk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,670
Message 9 of 18

Thank you very much for your help and apologies for not locating the relevant forum threads prior to starting my own. Anyways, i'll try to put in an SSD with windows and see if it works, if not I'll just buy a new one and it sure won't be a lenovo. Extremely lazy that the company has virtually no support for linux users.

atexit8
Punch Card
Views: 1,662
Message 10 of 18

@sndrnrvk wrote:

Thank you very much for your help and apologies for not locating the relevant forum threads prior to starting my own. Anyways, i'll try to put in an SSD with windows and see if it works, if not I'll just buy a new one and it sure won't be a lenovo. Extremely lazy that the company has virtually no support for linux users.

Lenovo is under no obligation to support Linux on any PC that it does not sell originally with Linux. 

Moderator note: post edited to conform with Community Guidelines

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors