cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrahamRD
Paper Tape
Views: 477
Message 1 of 3

Ideapad 100S-11IBY. Has anyone managed to re-install ANY OS on this machine from hell?

I have installed many operating systems over the years on a variety of machines and while I am certainly not an expert I am not a novice either and I understand the principles of disc partitioning, formatting and the BIOS etc but I have been thwarted at every turn trying to get Windows 10 back onto this machine.

As the system would no longer boot I formatted the drive to NTFS and used the Microsoft media creation tool which did not get very far before reporting that Windows could not find a suitable partition and aborted.

I believe no version of Windows other than 10 will run on this machine due to the almost non-existent BIOS so I thought I would cut my losses and try Ubuntu.

This went well and installed and ran without problem but there is no sound as apparently there are no compatible audio drivers available for this machine.

Unless anybody has a magic bullet this machine is one step away from the nearest skip which is akin to discarding a perfectly good appliance because you can longer get batteries for it.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 453
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ideapad 100S-11IBY. Has anyone managed to re-install ANY OS on this machine from hell?

Hi GrahamRD!

Welcome to the community forums.

The only tested OS that we have on our record for the Ideapad 100S-11IBY laptop is Windows 10. In regards the Ubuntu OS, this model is not included on the tested devices for Ubuntu/Linux OS. You can check this link https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd031426?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 for the Lenovo devices that are tested for Linux OS.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

GrahamRD
Paper Tape
Views: 446
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad 100S-11IBY. Has anyone managed to re-install ANY OS on this machine from hell?

Thank you for taking the time to reply but this is exactly my point.

There is no compatible Ubuntu distribution for this machine and Windows 10 refuses to re-install so now this otherwise perfectly serviceable machine is really only fit to be consigned to the trash for want of an operating system.

For this reason I will not be purchasing Lenovo products in the future.

Regards,

Graham Dauphin.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors