Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rich819
Paper Tape
Views: 1,780
Message 1 of 7

Ideapad 100S 11lby Windows 10 update failures

Hello,

I am receiving continuing Windows 10 update failures, initially with Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB4015221) and now with 2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x86-based Systems (KB4019474).

I did download and successfully install "Security Update for Windows (KB4019474)" using the stand alone file, but there are two issues that baffle me:

1) Windows 10 Update is still trying (and failing) to install "2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x86-based Systems (KB4019474)"

2) My PC says I have a 32-bit x64 system but the x64 version of the stand alone update tool had the error that it was the wrong system architecture while the x86 version of the tool worked. And in fact Windows Update is attempting to install the x86 version, so perhaps I really do have an x86 system???

Ultimately, I'm trying to correct a .NET Framework parse error I receive when trying to run new software and suspect it will be resolved by a successful Windows 10 update.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rich

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,767
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ideapad 100S 11lby Windows 10 update failures

To check the version of Windows you have, Right-Click on Start and select System, and under System Type it will state the version of Windows, which will be either a 32-Bit operating system, x64-based processor if your running a 32-bit version of Windows, or 64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor if you have the 64-bit version of Windows.

If it says "32-Bit operating system, x64-based processor" then you have a 32-bit version of Windows 10, and you will need to run the x86 version of updates.

Note:  The 32-bit version is fine since most applications are still written in 32-bit, but your system is limited to a maximum of 4GB of RAM due to the limitations of the 32-bit version.

If Windows Update is not completing, try running the Troubleshooting tool using the steps below

• Press the Windows Key + i simultaneously to open the Windows Settings page
  • Select(left-click) Update and Security
  • From the Settings windows, select Troubleshoot
  • Select Windows Update, and then select on Run the Troubleshooter
  • Left-click on Try running troubleshooter as an administrator

You can also download and run the Update Troublshooter from Microsoft from the link below, but I think it is basically the same thing.

Windows Update Troubleshooter

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-upda...

You can download and install KB4019474 manually using the link below as well, which you may want to try if the Windows Update continues to fail.

Manual installer for KB4019474 

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4019474

What is the exact .Net Framework parsing error you are getting... e.g. is there an error code associated with it?

Good Luck,

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,766
Message 3 of 7

Also, you might want to try the .Net Framework Repair Tool lined below.

NET Framework Repair Tool

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/repair

Cheers,

Rich819
Paper Tape
Views: 1,738
Message 4 of 7

Thanks JD! Mixed results:

* Windows Update Troubleshooting Tool fixed some "components that needed to be repaired." Windows Update reloaded "2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x86-based Systems (KB4019474)" and upon restarting Windows Update reported my computer was up to date! - However, the update history says it failed to install.

* I loaded the manual stand alone "Security Update for Windows (KB4019474)" and it appeared to install successfully. Upon restarting Windows Update again said my computer was up to date, but the history (again) showed it failed to install. - Note:  Looking back I see that I actually used this same stand alone tool last month and history shows that it DID install successfully at that time, however Windows Update has continued to attempt to load "2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x86-based Systems (KB4019474)" unsuccessfully since then. KB numbers are the same, but the title is slightly different.

* I had been trying to install and run MathCAD 3.1 and received "Error parsing C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config Parse returned error 0x80004005." I also recieved the same error when attempting to install Citrix Receiver. HOWEVER, I am no longer receiving a parse error (for some reason). Neither application executes; MathCAD displays a banner then nothing else and Citrix Receiver has a fatal error (no error code).

Thanks!

Rich

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,729
Message 5 of 7

Hmm, it is strange that Windows keeps trying to download/install an hotfix that already installed.  

Are you installing Citrix Receiver 4.7?

You might browse to the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and deleting the contents of the downloads folder (wouldn't hurt to back the contents up first).    Then run the Windows Update Windows Update troubleshooter again, and if it completes successfully, try checking for updates again.   

Is, or was, this computer a business computer connected to a Windows domain at some point?.   I ask because the 0x80004005 error you were receiving usually points to a permissions issue with the machine.config file, , and although you state the .Net Framework error is not longer presenting itself, you may want to check the permissions in any case.

• Browse to the C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config folder, right-click on \machine.conf file and select Properties.
  • Select the Security tab
  • Select Advanced

Default Permissions for machine.config file 

• System has Full Control
  • Administrators has Full Control
  • Users have Read & Execute
  • ALL APPLICATION PACKAGE has Read & Execute

You can also rename the machine.config file to machine.config.bak, and then make a copy of the machine.config.default file, and rename it as machine.config and see if that helps.

BTW  The update history only gives you a date stamp and will not run again if you used the manual installer, so it may be reporting a previous failure.. hard to say.  I would check to see if it is installed via the Programs and Features Control Panel    

• Right-click on Start, select Run:   control appwiz.cpl  and then select View Installed Updates in the left pane
  • Browse for the update, or put KB4019474 in the search window in the upper right.

Have you tried uninstalling Mathcad and Citrix Receiver since the .Net Framework error went away?      You might also want to verify that they are completely removed using the guide below.    Not sure that that will fix anything since it is affecting two applications, but might be worth a try.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-completely-uninstall-remove-a-software-program-in-windows-without-using-...

Another thing you might try is running a Windows System File Check

How to run System File Check scan

• Righ-Click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin) or WindowsPowershell (Admin) and press Enter
  • Type: sfc /scannow   (note the space between "sfc" and "/")

It may take up to a half hour or so to run depending on the system, but just lest it run, and upon completion it will return one of the following results:

• "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" (If you get this message, then system file corruption was likely not your problem.
  • "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log" (If you get this message, then your problem might have been corrupted system files, and the problem may be fixed)
  • "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log" (If you get this message, see below on how to run DISM to fix a corrupt Windows Component Store, and then run the SFC scan again)

How to run DISM

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet, and close all programs
  • Right-Click on the Start and select Command Prompt (Admin) or Windows Powershell (Admin)
  • In the Administrator Command Prompt window, type:  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  (capitalization is not required)

Note: After running the DISM utility successfully, you must run the System File Check utility again to fix any corrupted system files left unrepaired during the previous SFC scan.

Rich819
Paper Tape
Views: 1,639
Message 6 of 7

Very much appreciate the suggestions JD. I ran out of time and basically worked around the problem until my class ended. I was able to get Citrix Receiver working intermittently; enough to use Mathcad remotely rather than installing it on my ideapad (which I was never able to accomplish).

I no longer need either and application and now I'm left with the problem of continual upgrade failures which point to the need to have 8GB free on my ideapad 100S, which appears to be impossible. If I strip what little I've added, I can only get to 7GB free.

I assume all others using the 100S have the same problem (needing 8GB free) but I'm not seeing any posts to that effect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rich

Rich819
Paper Tape
Views: 1,636
Message 7 of 7

Correction:  I did see the thread https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/IdeaPad-100S-14IBR-Windows-10-update/m-...

The solution was  to use USB flash or a uSD card can be used to hold the large Windows.old generated during an update, and allow the update to run. - But my update won't even begin because there is less than 8GB space.

Thanks!

Rich

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors